Tips for Shipping a Vehicle Between Hawaii and Los Angeles
If you ever need to move to Hawaii from Los Angeles or back again, there are lots of things to think about. There’s a furniture mover to arrange, packing and unpacking all your belongings, sorting out all the paperwork, and let’s not forget the pets.
With so many things to think about, shipping a car is often the last thing on peoples’ minds. As a result, a car is something that often gets left behind and a new one purchased when settled. Another option that’s often considered is driving the car to the final destination. Believe it or not, there’s a much better solution to both of these options and that’s car shipping from Hawaii and vice versa.
Give us a call right now on (866) 774 6570. You might be surprised how affordable our vehicle transport rates are.
Keep reading if you want to know more about this service and how easy it is to arrange it.
How Do Car Shipping Services Between the Mainland and Hawaii Work?
Basically, there are two options for anyone who wants to move a car from Los Angeles to Hawaii or vice versa. If you live near the coast, for example, in San Diego, Oakland, Seattle, or Los Angeles, you can drop your car off at the port, ready for transportation to Hawaii.
If you live anywhere else on the mainland, transportation is generally done in two stages. For the first stage, your vehicle is transported from a mainland location, such as your home or office, to the port. The second stage of the process is for your vehicle to be loaded onto a ship that’s traveling to Hawaii. Here at SGT Auto Transport, we can help with the first stage of the process. When your vehicle arrives in Hawaii it’s down to you to collect it from the port. From Los Angeles, vehicles can be shipped to Kauai, O’ahu, Maui, or the Big Island of Hawaii.
If you’re shipping a vehicle in the other direction it works in much the same way. However, when it comes to picking up your vehicle from a port on the mainland we can arrange it for you. The other option is to pick up the car from the port yourself.
What About Insurance and Liability Cover?
Choose one of our automobile shipping options and your vehicle is fully covered throughout its journey. We charge no extra for this insurance. Ask for an instant quote and the price is inclusive. While your car is on a seagoing vessel it’s covered by limited liability insurance. This means your car is protected against any damage.
How Much Does Car Shipping to Hawaii Cost?
The average cost for shipping a car to Hawaii is around $1300. The actual cost depends on many different factors. For an accurate price get in touch with us here or use our online calculator for a car transport quote.
Auto transport prices depend on the following:
- Vehicle make and model – vehicles come in all shapes and sizes. The larger and heavier a vehicle is the more space and weight it takes up on the trailer. If any modifications have been done this can also increase the cost of transporting. A good example of this is when a vehicle has been lifted or a spoiler has been fitted.
- Is the vehicle running or not? – this affects the price because additional equipment may be required to load and unload it from the trailer.
- Enclosed vs open – enclosed car transport is more expensive than open shipping because fewer cars can be transported at the same time. There are also fewer companies offering this type of service.
- Distance and location – more remote locations and longer distances generally cost more.
- Supply and demand – this makes a significant difference to the cost of shipping service. How many trucks run on a particular route can affect the cost. If demand is high and supply is low it makes prices higher.
- Time of year – there are times of the year when it’s popular to ship a car. During these times, prices are always going to be higher. During snowbirds season, for example, more people want to ship their cars down south when they head for the warmer weather. And again in the spring, when they return back home, shipping rates are going to go up.
How Long Does It Take to Ship a Car Between the Mainland and Hawaii?
The timeline for this type of service depends on the pick-up and delivery locations. Let’s give you an example: it takes between five and seven days to ship a vehicle from the Midwest to any west coast port. You then have to add one to five business days for the pick-up.
Ships sail to Hawaii every week and once the ship has left the mainland it takes around ten days for a car to be delivered to any Hawaiian port. There are, however, no guarantees as many things can affect the timeline once a ship has sailed. The weather, for example, can impact the time it takes to cross the ocean.
How Far in Advance Should You Book Your Service?
The earlier you can make your booking the less likely you are to be disappointed. We generally advise our customers to book one month in advance of their planned moving date.
Preparing Your Vehicle for Shipping
There are several things you need to do before your vehicle is picked up.
- Run your gas tank down to one-quarter full
- Remove all personal possessions
- Disconnect any car alarm systems
- Clean the interior and exterior and make a note of any damage
- Make sure the battery is topped off and no fluids are leaking
When your vehicle is collected it will be carefully inspected by the carrier and the port personnel. Any damage detected will be noted on a report that you have to sign. This report is used for comparison when your vehicle is delivered to ensure no damage has occurred during the transportation process. It’s very unusual for damage to occur, but if it does it will be noted on the inspection report. Keep a copy of this report safe, because you’ll need it when the time comes to file a claim with the insurance. If you need any help with this our shipping advisors are happy to help.
Documents the Shipping Company Needs
- Vehicle registration and title or lessor notarized document
- If you’ve nominated someone else to pick-up the vehicle they’ll need a notarized authorization document
- Photo ID for the pick-up and delivery of the vehicle
If you want to know anything else about shipping a vehicle between Hawaii and the mainland call us today on (866) 774 6570. We’ll be happy to answer all your questions.