12 of the Most Common Mistakes to Avoid When Shipping a Car
An Essential Guide to Car Transport for College Students
Estimated reading time: 9 minutes
It’s not uncommon for students to travel hundreds or even thousands of miles away from home to go to college. For many of these students, having a vehicle to get around is essential. Rather than using the bus or train or going to the expense of hiring a taxi, it’s far more convenient when you’ve got your own car.
However, when the distance between home and campus is hundreds or thousands of miles, driving there can seem rather daunting. Not only will it take a long time. It’ll also sap your energy, and cost a lot of money.
Luckily, there’s an alternative that’s more affordable than you think. Transportation services for college students are a much wiser call.
In this post, you’ll find out all the essentials of this very convenient service. Whether you’re heading home for the holidays or back to campus in the fall, car transport for college students is definitely worth considering.
Reasons you might need your car for college?
There are several reasons why it’s a good idea to have a car for college:
- It makes leaving campus easier: If you need to head off-campus for whatever reason, you’ll need a car. An Uber or Lyft might be an option if you’ve got a doctor’s appointment but it might not be suitable if you want to bring back something large such as an item of furniture for your apartment or dorm. Your freedom of movement will be better overall if you’re got your car.
- Safety reasons: Taking care of your personal needs will be easier if you’ve got a car. There are solutions such as taxis or ride-sharing if you need to take care of something off campus. However, these are not necessarily the safest options. Public transport may not be available and it’s often not safe to use it for traveling at night. If you’ve got a car, it offers safety and security.
- You can help out your friends: If you’ve got friends that don’t have access to a car, you can help them with their errands and needs if they need to go off-campus. Think of all the fun adventures you’ll be able to have as well. With a car, you can take trips to the beach or see local sights.
- Having a car means more fun: College is so much more fun when you can head out on adventures. You’ll be glad you’ve got your car when you’re invited to have fun away from campus.
- If you get an internship or a job: There are lots of jobs available on campus but if you want an internship or job in a specific field, you’ll likely have to look off campus. Having a car will be a big help. Jobs and internships help you progress in your studies and career and you’ll have an easier time accessing such opportunities if you’ve got your own car to use.
- Saves time: College campuses are often quite large. Walking across the entire campus can make it hard to be on time for events and classes. If you’ve got a car, it’ll make being on time easy.
What is student car transport?
It is a service for college students that allow you to get your car picked up from your home and delivered to your college campus. If you take your own car with you when you head off to college, there will be no need to use public transport or pay for a taxi.
Why college car shipping services are a better option
- Driving your car long distances can be an exhausting thing to do. If you’re not used to driving for long periods over several days, it can be very tiring which increases the risk of an accident due to fatigue.
- If you pack belongings in your car, such as clothes and laptops, you run the risk of them getting stolen if you leave your car for just a few minutes. Ship your car and it will be safe and secure, along with any belongings you choose to ship in your car.
- If you hire a responsible and reputable company to ship your car, it will be faster, safer, and reasonably priced.
How college student vehicle shipping works
There are several steps to take if you want to avoid any risks and ensure your vehicle reached its destination without any issues.
Hire the best shipping company
Type “car transport for college students” into your favorite search engine and you might find picking the best one confusing. There are hundreds of auto transport companies which makes it difficult to choose one.
You’re going to need to do some research and compare the results. However, there are some important factors that play a key role in the decision-making process:
- Choose a company that’s licensed and registered. Ask for the company's MC number and check that it’s valid by visiting the Department of Transport website.
- The student car shipping company must have all the required equipment to provide an efficient service. The staff must also be experienced in the auto transport industry.
- Check a good selection of customer reviews as these are a very effective way to gauge the quality of a company’s service. Feedback from customers tells you a lot about how the company deals with its clients. You should expect there to be some negative feedback because even the best companies will be unable to satisfy everyone. How the company responds to negative comments is just as informative as the comments themselves.
- An auto transport company should offer insurance that covers damage relating to the moving process. Predictions are impossible and while damage is rare, accidents can happen. When you contact a car shipping company, ask for their insurance details and check what type of damage the company will cover.
Prepare your car before shipping
There are several things you should do to prepare your car for its shipping journey. For example, you should remove all personal belongings. It may be possible to ship some personal items in your car, but there are likely to be some restrictions. It’s also worth noting that they won’t be covered by the carrier's insurance.
Make sure to empty the vehicle’s fuel tank so that it’s no more than one-quarter full. Extra fuel is not necessary. It means more weight and could increase the cost of car transport for college students.
Calculate how much it will cost
The cost is going to be something that matters a lot. Transportation costs vary from one company to another and there are also several factors that impact the overall cost of college car shipping services. These include:
- How far your car has to travel
- The type of vehicle you want to ship
- The time of the year
- The condition of your vehicle
- The weather
- The delivery time frame
Here at SGT Auto Transport, we offer an online auto transport calculator. Use it today to estimate the overall cost of shipping a car. It’s a quick and easy way to determine the cost of your college car shipping service.
Document the condition of your vehicle
Before your car is transported it’s essential that you document its condition. You should also provide information to the shipping company about any existing damage, leaking fluids, and mechanical issues.
Take photos of any existing damage, including dents, dings, chips, and scratches. This will also have to be included in the pre-shipment inspection that forms part of the Bill of Lading.
Delivery to campus
Auto transport services that we offer are all door-to-door, however, you should keep in mind that there may be a problem with a 50-foot truck driving onto campus. Even some off-campus locations might not have room, especially if the streets are narrow and there are several apartment blocks.
However, don’t worry because the carrier will meet you at a safe location of your choosing nearby. The carrier will go wherever you want as long as it’s safe and near your agreed location.
Tips for keeping your vehicle safe on campus
According to statistics gathered by the National Center for Education Statistics, motor vehicle thefts accounted for 11% of campus crimes in 2018. Therefore, you should do everything you can to protect your vehicle and your belongings from damage, vandalism, and theft.
Keep your vehicle locked at all times
Always keep the doors and trunk of your car locked as this will reduce the risk of vandalism or car theft. You can also protect your personal safety by having your keys ready and looking around your car and checking the surrounding area before entering. If you keep the doors locked while inside your vehicle, this will also help to keep you safe.
Keep all valuables out of sight
Even when your car is locked you should keep any valuables hidden as this removes any temptation for someone walking by. Never leave your driver’s license, house keys, and other personal items that contain information about your identity in your car. Anything valuable should be locked in the trunk.
Only park in well-lit areas
If you park your car in well-lit areas, your car will be more visible which will ward off any break-ins. When choosing a spot to park your car, take into consideration the time you’ll return. This is particularly important if you’re going to return to your car when it’s dark. Try not to leave your car in isolated areas or where the visibility of your vehicle is limited.
If possible, park your car in a garage
If your house or apartment has a garage, try to secure yourself a space. Parking your car in a car reduces the likelihood of something bad happening. A garage will also protect your car from the elements.
Don’t lend your vehicle to your college mates
If you lend your vehicle to someone and they’re involved in an accident or your car is damaged, your insurance company may not cover it. If you want to help a friend, rather than lending them your car, consider giving them a ride instead.
Keep your car well serviced
When you drive your car regularly, it will maintain its battery life and you’ll be able to check that nothing has been vandalized and that your car is working properly. Keep a regular maintenance schedule that includes oil changes, and tire rotations. Regular maintenance helps to prevent breakdowns and reduced the chance of getting stranded.
Don’t drink and drive
There are going to be lots of recreational opportunities at college together with unwelcome peer pressure. Never drive a vehicle when you’ve been drinking alcohol and never get into a vehicle with a driver who’s been drinking. Take advantage of evening transportation offered by many colleges rather than getting into a car after a good night on the town.
If you want to know more about shipping your car to college, our shipping advisors are always available by phone (864) 546-5038 or .