How is My Car Protected While Shipping?
How Do Dealers Ship Cars?
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
If you ever find yourself looking for a new car, one of the most important factors is likely the price. Sometimes, you might have to look further than your home town or even state if you want the perfect car for your needs and budget.
If you buy a car from New York, for example, and live in California, can a dealership ship a car to another state? And if they can, what is the process?
In this post, you’ll find out whether it’s possible and what you have to be aware of.
Do car dealerships deliver cars?
You might not realize it but yes they do. This answer doesn’t apply to all of them, but many will be willing to deliver your vehicle to you wherever you live.
You might live just across town, in which case the dealership will probably drive it to your home. However, if you live in another state or across the other side of the country, having your car delivered is still in the realms of possibility.
If the dealership is willing to deliver your car to you it’s going to be very convenient and beneficial for everyone involved in the transaction.
It should be noted that the dealership is not going to offer such a service free of charge. Most will require a fee to arrange for the car to be delivered.
What are the benefits of having your car delivered?
The main benefit is that having your car delivered is convenient. You’ll save time because you won’t have to drive across the country. There’s also much less hassle when you decide to ship your car.
Safety is another benefit. Let’s face it, interstates across the United States are not the safest places to be driving solo. Not only are you putting yourself at risk of serious harm, you’re also risking your property. Both can be prevented by shipping your vehicle with an auto transport company rather than taking it on a road trip alone.
You could also save money. While the upfront costs may be higher, down the road repairs due to wear and tear on a poorly maintained vehicle tend to cost less.
How much does it cost to have your car delivered?
The cost of having your car delivered will vary depending on where you live and where you bought your car. A number of other factors will also make a difference to the cost of shipping your car. Here are some examples:
- Vehicle size: The size of the vehicle you want to ship affects the average auto transport costs. Larger vehicles cost more to transport because they take up more space on the trailer. They also weigh more.
- Time of year: You can expect to pay more during peak times of the year because companies are busier and space of auto transport trucks is more limited. However, booking a shipment during the winter in areas that experience bad weather can also increase car shipping costs.
- Shipping distance: This one probably doesn’t surprise you. The further your vehicle needs to travel, the more it will cost you. Mileage rates might fluctuate depending on the company you choose. It’s a good idea to research several companies and check how much they charge based on distance.
- Carrier type: If the dealership ships your car on an open carrier it is cheaper because the carrier can generally transport more cars than a carrier offering enclosed car transport. Open car transport tends to be the preferred method for most car dealerships. The other option is to pay more for transport in an enclosed trailer. Enclosed carriers use trailers that transport fewer vehicles but have extra protection. This is the car shipping method of choice if your car is expensive or rare.
- Delivery time frame: You will pay more if you want your vehicle transport rushed. If you can be flexible about when your vehicle is delivered, you can expect to pay less.
Before committing to a purchase, make sure you ask the sales representative about the delivery costs.
If you’d like to know how much it might cost to ship your car, get your instant quote today.
Shipping cars between dealerships
Imagine you want to buy a car with a specific color or trim level. The dealership you visit may not have the exact model in their stock because they can only keep a limited number of vehicles on the lot.
However, this doesn’t mean you can’t get the car you want. Thanks to the internet, dealerships across the states are linked. This allows them to sell vehicles that aren’t in their inventory. This type of transaction is known as “dealer trade.” So, in answer to the question “Can you have a car shipped to another dealer?” the answer is yes.
Dealer trades are very popular these days because they are fast and convenient. Customers often prefer to deal with one dealership they trust. This is preferable to contacting lots of other dealers they might not be familiar with.
Dealerships tend to ship the cars they sell with the help of an auto transport company. Dealers have to choose a reliable car shipping company because their reputation depends on it.
There are many auto transport companies to choose from, which makes it very difficult to pick one that’s trustworthy. However, there are a few criteria an auto transport company should meet:
- The company must be registered and have insurance cover with the Department of Transport and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. This means that the company has to follow all insurance and safety regulations set by the FMCSA.
- The auto transport company should have relevant experience. The dealership should check the auto transport company’s track record. It is a good indicator of a company’s efficiency.
- Positive customer reviews mean a car shipping company works hard to meet the needs of its customers. However, don’t ignore any negative comments because they can also tell you a lot about a company and how much they care about keeping customers satisfied and giving a proper explanation should something go wrong.
If you want to know more about the car shipping process, our shipping advisors will be happy to speak with you. You can speak with them directly by calling (864) 546-5038 or use our Live Chat.
Can a dealership ship a car to another dealership?
Yes, a dealership can ship a car to another dealership, although it does require a certain amount of coordination. Auto transport companies play a significant role in the process which is why dealerships often have good relationships with this type of car shipping company.
Can you get a car shipped from a dealership?
Getting a car shipped from a dealership is a very simple process. Many dealerships offer this option, but if that’s not possible, you can arrange your own car shipping with the help of a company like SGT Auto Transport.