Shipping a car from Hawaii to San Diego & from San Diego to Hawaii
Shipping a car from Hawaii to California & from California to Hawaii: A comprehensive guide
Thousands of people choosing to visit Hawaii every year. Many of them are visiting for a relaxing vacation, but some choose to stay for longer. Snowbirds are a prime example, and we’re not referring to the feathered kind.
People also travel in the opposite direction, from Hawaii to California, typically because it’s the nearest mainland state. Whether you’re relocating for the winter months or want it to be more permanent, don’t forget to include auto transport in your plans. There’s no reason for you to leave your car behind because SGT Auto Transport has the perfect service.
Moving from California to Hawaii?
There are plenty of reasons that people make the move to Hawaii. After all, it is a beautiful place. And whether you are making the move because you want to try it out for a temporary amount of time, or you are taking a new job and relocating permanently, there are ways to make the move easy on yourself and adapt to the change at your own pace.
One such option is to bring your vehicle along with you. After all, there are plenty of adjustments you will have to make, so why not leave the hassle of finding a new vehicle behind? Shipping your car from California to Hawaii is hassle-free and makes adapting to the change that much easier.
How Far is Hawaii from California?
Hawaii is over 2,400 miles from California. This is quite a stretch, and what makes it seem even farther is that this distance is completely water, meaning driving is not possible. However, even if driving were an option, this distance would take approximately 183 hours.
With that stretch of distance, even if you could drive, would you want to? Flying is the common method of travel, with flights typically lasting over 5 hours. Certainly there are different points of travel on either end, but planning your trip around 5 hours and thirty minutes is the most realistic approach.
How to Ship a Car From Hawaii to California
If you’re moving back to the mainland do you really want to be looking for a new car while you’re settling in? Why not take your car with you? You might wait weeks for the right car to come along and how are you going to get around in the meantime?
With SGT Auto Transport in your corner, you can make arrangements for your precious Toyota Prius, Mercedes SLK-Class, or Ford Econoline to be waiting for you on the mainland.
It doesn’t get much easier than our Hawaii car shipping service from Hawaii to California.
Instant Quotes Available Free of Charge
We just require a few simple details if you want to know how much it costs to ship a car from Hawaii to California. Use our free online instant quote calculator, phone or live chat options. What do we need to know? Here’s a list of the details you need to provide:
- Locations for the pick-up and delivery.
- Do you want open car transport or enclosed auto transport?
- What is the year, make, and model of your car?
- Is the vehicle operable or not?
- What is the first available pick-up date?
- Your email address.
As soon as you’re provided these details using our online instant quote calculator, you’ll receive your quote. Alternatively, there is the option of speaking with one of our shipping advisors. Call at (864) 546-5038 or use our .
Book Your Order and Then Get Your Vehicle Ready for Shipping
Once you’ve received your quote, you’re then able to accept the price and book your order. How easy does that sound to you? Once the booking has been done you’ve got to get your vehicle ready for shipping.
- Carefully clean the inside and outside of your car: This means it’ll be ready to drive straight away as soon as it’s delivered and you’ll be able to check the condition of your vehicle.
- Photograph any damage: You will use these photos to compare your car when it’s delivered.
- Perform some basic maintenance: Check the tires are correctly inflated, the fluids are topped up, and the battery is fully charged.
- Any removable parts must be secured or removed: Items such as custom stereos, after-market video and DVD players, your GPS, and car charger shouldn’t be left in the car.
- Deactivate alarm, parking passes, and toll tags: your toll tags and parking passes aren’t needed during the journey and your carrier will not want your car alarm going off unexpectedly.
- The gas tank can be run down: it’s not safe for your car to be transported with a full tank of gas so run it down to at least a quarter full.
If you want a hassle-free Hawaii to California shipping experience, these tips are worth their weight in gold.
We Can Help Get Your Car From Hawaii to California
When you’re shipping a car from Hawaii to California, your auto transport service starts when you arrive at the port. It might be Hilo, Honolulu, Kahului, or Nawiliwili, but the process is the same. Remember to bring the following with you:
- Your SGT Auto Transport confirmation number.
- A government-issued photo ID.
- The keys for your car and the keys or remote for the alarm system.
- Registration documents for your car.
- If the car is financed or leased, you need a letter of authorization or power of attorney.
- If you’re the owner of the car, bring the car’s title.
- Current registration documents for the car.
It’s not always possible for you to drive the car to the port, but that’s not an issue. You can appoint a representative to act on your behalf. Just make sure they’re over 18 years of age and have a power of attorney that confirms the car can be shipped. They will have to provide all the necessary documentation as well.
When Your Car Arrives in California You Have Two Options
If you live close to a Californian port, the obvious choice is to collect your car yourself. You will, however, have to provide several things before they can release your vehicle. Take the following with you when you go to collect your car from the port.
- If you’re the outright owner, you must provide a copy of the title document and current registration. Any names on these documents have to match the shipping order.
- If your vehicle is leased or financed, you need a letter from the lien holder. This letter must be on official letter-headed notepaper, be notarized and issued within the last 30 days.
- If the car is owned by two people, both owners have to be present to collect the car. If this isn’t possible, the absent owner has to provide a notarized consent that the vehicle can be shipped.
- A valid photo ID and proof of ownership of the car.
The second option is far simpler. Let SGT Auto Transport collect your car from the port and deliver it to your door. If you want to experience an auto transport service that’s completely stress-free, let us handle it all for you.
All you need to worry about is being there for your car when it’s delivered.
How Much Does it Cost to Ship a Car From Hawaii to California?
The first question you might ask yourself is whether or not shipping a car from Hawaii to California is expensive. Great question, and there are several factors that affect the cost of shipping a car from Hawaii to California. They include:
- The location of the pick-up and delivery, and the distance between these two points.
- What transport service you’ve chosen.
- The type of car and how old it is.
- If the vehicle is operable or not running.
- The demand and supply for your chosen route.
- The time of the year, because certain times are more expensive than others.
While these considerations will certainly impact the price, you can be sure that shipping cars from Hawaii to California is inexpensive. This is because we You can trust us to secure the most competitive price possible. Additionally, these considerations are at play when shipping your car the opposite way—from California to Hawaii—as noted below.
How to Ship a Car From California to Hawaii
California is popular for people wanting to ship a car to Hawaii because it has some of the closest ports to the Hawaiian islands. The process starts in the same way as shipping a car from Hawaii to California. However, in this instance we ship door-to-port or port-to-port.
You find out how much it costs to ship a car from California to Hawaii using our instant online quote calculator. There’s also the option of speaking with our shipping advisors at (864) 546-5038. Alternatively, use our .
How Much Does it Cost to Ship a Car From California to Hawaii?
Several factors have to be taken into account when calculating the cost to ship a car from California to Hawaii. Your quote depends on:
- Pick-up and delivery locations.
- How far your car has to be transported.
- Chosen transport service.
- Type of car and year of manufacture.
- Whether the car is running.
- Supply and demand.
- Time of the year.
Once you’ve booked your shipping order and given us your first pick-up date, you’ve got to get your car ready for shipping.
How Long Does it Take to Ship a Car From Hawaii to California and From California to Hawaii?
2,400 miles is a long way to travel across the ocean, so it will take a fair amount of time. The time your car spends crossing the ocean varies from one to two weeks.
Should You Choose Open Car Transport or Enclosed Auto Transport?
Open car transport is a budget-friendly option for those who want to ship a car from Hawaii to California or from California. It’s the auto transport service of choice for many of our customers, including car dealerships. This service is a very safe and affordable option.
Enclosed auto transport is our premium service that is recommended for owners of luxury, classic, custom, antique, new, or modified cars. The trailers we use protect the vehicles on all four sides. There is, however, a slightly higher cost of around 30% to 40%.
When you’re making your arrangements to move from Hawaii to California or vice versa remember to arrange the shipping of your vehicle with SGT Auto Transport.