The cheapest way to ship a car to Hawaii and from Hawaii
Hire someone to drive your car cross country: A definitive guide
There are many reasons why you might want to ship a car cross country. You might have bought a new car online, relocating because of a promotion, or heading south for the winter. These are all very valid reasons.
Lucky for you, there are many alternatives, for example, drive yourself or hire someone to drive your car cross country. In this article, we’re going to explore and compare all your options and recommend the best one. You’ll be able to make a more informed decision if you understand as much as you can about each of your options.
Should I drive my car across the country or ship it?
You can drive your car across country, but it adds extra miles on your odometer, can be tiring and stressful, and the additional costs make it expensive. Shipping your car across country with a car hauler, on the other hand, is safer, cheaper, and takes less time.
How to hire someone to drive your car cross country?
To hire someone to drive your car across country you’ve got lots of companies competing eagerly for your attention such as ProfessionalDrivers.com or IDriveYourCar.com. You can also book an independent driver, ask someone you know to drive your car or ship your car with an auto transport company.
Need someone to drive a car across country?
If you need someone to drive a car across country you have several options:
- Drive yourself
- Hire a driveaway service
- Use a professional cross country auto transport company
- Book an independent driver
- Ask someone you know to drive your car across the country
Option 1: Drive yourself
The most obvious choice is to drive it yourself. However, there are several reasons why this is not always the best option. A road trip from Philadelphia to Los Angeles might sound very exciting, but let’s look at some of the downsides of driving across the country.
- A road trip can be very expensive when you factor in all the costs. You’ll have to pay for gas, along with accommodation, food, and drinks.
- All the extra miles increase the wear and tear of your vehicle, which will inevitably lead to added maintenance and repair costs.
- There’s a huge amount of stress involved.
- Getting stuck in traffic or losing your way can be very frustrating.
- There’s an increased risk of being involved in an accident the more miles you drive.
- A road trip will take a long time, time that is better spent doing something for yourself or your family instead.
So, what about an alternative to driving yourself? Basically, you’ve got four options. Keep reading to learn more.
Option 2: Hire a driveaway service
Use your favorite search engine and type in “I need a driver to drive my car.” You’ll be amazed at the number of hits you get. In those results, there will be companies that have a core of drivers they can call on. Quite often, these drivers will be students or retirees, as this type of work is a popular side hustle.
If you like the idea of hiring a company to drive your car cross country, your best option is to find a company that specializes in this type of service. It is typically referred to as a driveaway service or sometimes a chauffeuring service.
Tips for using a driveaway service
- Document the vehicle’s condition: Make sure you document and take photos of your vehicle before you hire a driver for your own car. This is in case of any damage occurring on the road. If the driveaway service delivers your car with scratches, dents, or other damage, you want to be able to prove that it was not pre-existing
- Inquire about insurance: Not all driveaway companies offer the same coverage. Ask about the company’s liability policy before you hire them. You need to be certain you’re protected from damage to your own vehicle as well as damage to others and their property.
The pros and cons of hiring a professional driver to drive your car cross country
There are several advantages if you choose to hire a driver for your own car. They include:
- You might be able to ride along: If you’re a worrier, this option is going to help you sleep at night.
- Personal service: The professional driver is able to give the task their full attention.
- Specialized insurance: Professional drivers generally carry sufficient insurance.
- Pack luggage: You should be able to transport extra luggage in your car during the journey, which will help cut the cost of hiring a movers service. Some driveaway companies are also happy to transport pets at the same time.
- Fast service: There is no loading and unloading time, so this service can be quicker.
On the flip side, there are a few disadvantages too. For example:
- It’s expensive: Generally, hiring someone to drive your car cross country is going to be more expensive than using an auto transport service.
- Wear and tear: Because your car is being driven, there is the additional wear and tear that you have to factor into the equation.
- Finding a reputable driver: This can be a challenge, especially if you’ve never done it before, because you don’t know what to look for.
- Company requirements: Some driveaway companies impose restrictions on the type of car.
Option 3: Use a professional cross country auto transport company
One of the most common ways to move a vehicle across country is with an auto transport company. The drivers used by these professional companies are well trained and vetted. The vehicles they use are well-maintained, safe, and secure. Auto transport companies carry their own insurance, so you know your vehicle is protected. Companies that offer auto transport services run in accordance with strict timetables, and you can be confident your car will arrive on time.
Why a professional auto transport company is a good option
- Costs much less than any other option
- It’s quick and simple to arrange
- There’s no wear and teat
- They will pick up your vehicle and deliver it to a location of your choice
- They can tailor the service to meet your needs
- Multiple vehicles can be shipped at the same time
- It’s much safer
It’s also becoming an increasingly popular option for many people. The service is so good, it’s flexible, and very convenient.
How much does it cost?
Several factors have to be taken into account when calculating the cost of transporting a car across country. They include:
- The vehicle make and model
- Its condition, in other words whether it’s running or not
- The time of year
- The current price of fuel
- The type of auto transport service you require (open or enclosed)
- Whether the pick-up and delivery locations are in a city or a more remote location
- Whether you choose guaranteed pick-up or express car shipping
It’s almost impossible to put an actual price tag on the service because of all these factors an auto transport company has to consider. Here is a table that gives the average price per mile.
|Distance||Type of transport||Avg. price per mile||Sample distance||Sample price|
|0-500 miles||Open||$0.80||250 miles||$200|
|500-1000 miles||Open||$0.73||700 miles||$511|
|1000-1500 miles||Open||$0.70||1000 miles||$700|
|1500-2000 miles||Open||$0.48||1750 miles||$840|
|2000-2500 miles||Open||$0.37||2400 miles||$888|
|2500-3000 miles||Open||$0.35||2700 miles||$945|
|3000+ miles||Open||$0.33||3200 miles||$1122|
These prices are reflective of current market conditions as of January 2020. They are subject to change due to seasonal fluctuations, price of gas, pick-up/delivery locations, etc.
How long will it take?
A car shipping company typically covers several hundred miles a day. The time it takes for them to deliver your car varies, depending on the distance the carrier has to travel. It could be a day, a week, or even longer.
Many auto transport companies offer a special kind of service if time is of the essence and you need them to ship your vehicle double-quick. When you contact an auto transport provider ask whether they offer an express auto transport service or guaranteed pick-up service.
How does the auto transport process work?
If you want to ship your car cross country with an auto transport company, the process is very simple. Let’s show you how easy it is.
Step 1: Get a free auto transport instant quote and book your service
You can get your free instant quote using our online instant quote calculator. If you’re happy with the price, you can make your booking. You confirm the details with the company and they make the booking.
Step 2: Your car is picked up
The carrier you’ve been allocated will contact you before the pick-up date so they can schedule a convenient location and time. When the carrier arrives you inspect your vehicle with the driver and note its condition on the Bill of Lading. You’ll get a copy of this document, so remember to bring it with you when your vehicle is delivered.
Step 3: Your car is delivered
They will contact you again a few hours before they are due to deliver your vehicle. This call is to make sure you’re going to be available to receive the delivery. When your car arrives, inspect it carefully and compare the condition with a copy of the Bill of Lading. If everything is in order, you sign the Bill of Lading to receive the car and pay any money that you owe.
The advantages of choosing an auto transport company
- Qualified drivers: Choose a reputable auto shipping company and you know the driver is knowledgeable, highly trained, and trustworthy.
- Guaranteed safety: Reputable auto transport companies carry insurance that protects your vehicle no matter what the issue.
- Saves time: Auto shipping companies are experienced in what they do. They’ve loaded and unloaded many different vehicles, and the process is quick and easy.
- Cheaper than driving: The cost of shipping a vehicle across the country is very reasonable.
- No wear and tear: Your car is carried on a trailer, so there is no wear and tear.
- Flexible service: You can choose between enclosed auto transport and open car transport, depending on the type of vehicle. Open car transport offers great value for money and is designed for standard vehicles. If, on the other hand, your vehicle is a little more unusual, high value, custom, classic, or a sports car, enclosed auto transport is the service of choice because of the extra protection it provides. Such additional protection does, however, come at an additional price.
The disadvantage of choosing an auto transport company
- Transporting extra luggage: You’re limited to 100 lbs of extra luggage. It has to be packed in a box or suitcase and secured in the trunk of your car.
There are a huge number of advantages if you choose to hire a reputable company to transport your car. Not only will it save you money, but it can also save time and stress.
Getting your car ready for its journey
Once you’ve booked your auto transport service, there are a few things you need to do to get your car ready.
- Clean the interior and exterior
- Check for scratches, dings, and dents
- Photograph your vehicle so you can compare it when it’s delivered
- Carry out some basic maintenance such as checking fluids, tire pressures, and that the battery has a full charge
- Secure or remove any removable parts, for example, luggage and bike racks, custom spoilers
- Deactivate toll tags, parking passes, and the alarm
- Run down the gas tank to at least a quarter full
- Ask your shipping company for proof of their liability and cargo insurance
- Check with your own insurance provider that you’re covered
- Check contact information so you can keep yourself informed of the progress of your vehicle and be aware of any delays
How to find the best cross country car shipping company
If you decide you want to ship your car across country, it’s only natural to want the best one there is to transport such a precious cargo as your car. Not all auto transport companies are cut from the same cloth, so what should you be looking for? Here are a few things to bear in mind.
- Do your research. One of the most important things you can do is check out customer reviews. You’ll find these on an auto transport company’s website, but there are also a number of third-party review websites you can visit. People who have used the auto shipping service leave their reviews, and they are generally an excellent indication as to whether you’ve chosen a reliable transport company. The top review sites include the Better Business Bureau, Trustpilot, uShip.
- Make sure the company is registered with the Department of Transport. Always ask for their DOT number and check it using the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- Make sure the company is bonded and insured.
- Look for a company with a professional website.
- What type of services do they offer? Some companies only offer transport services regionally, while others might offer nationwide transport services. You might also find certain companies put restrictions on the size or type of vehicle they can transport.
- Check out prices. When you’re doing your research, it’s best to compare at least three different provider’s prices.
- Make sure the company is transparent about its services.
- Find out the process should damage occur.
- Look for a company that has 24/7 customer service.
Always read the fine print of the auto transport service, and don’t be afraid to ask questions about anything you don’t understand.
Option 4: Book an independent driver
You have the option of hiring an independent driver to drive your car across country. To find a driver to drive someone else’s car across country, you can browse through the wanted ads near the pick-up location for your vehicle. Craigslist and myfamilytravels.com are also good places to look. Make sure to review any independent driver’s reference, licenses, and you may consider a background check if you don’t know the person.
Hiring an independent driver can be a way to save money, but there are some additional considerations. You must make sure they are covered under your insurance or purchase additional short-term insurance in case of an incident. Your insurance might cover damages, perhaps at a reduced rate, if you haven’t added the driver to your policy. Also, keep in mind, any claim will increase your policy rates.
The pros and cons of hiring an independent driver
One of the biggest advantages is that you’ll save money on hiring a driveaway service. You might also be able to ride along and transport additional luggage.
Independent drivers tend to charge by the hour and add the cost of additional expenses such as gas, lodging, meals, and a one-way plane ticket home. However, when you add all these costs together, hiring an auto transport company works out to be even cheaper.
The biggest downside of hiring an independent driver is that it will be someone you don’t know. Always ask for a copy of their driver’s license and driving record. You should also check that your insurance will cover a third-party operator. It’s also advisable to get your vehicle a full check-up.
Something else to be aware of is that the driver you hire might not be familiar with the car. In case of an emergency tow or flat tire, plan to pay for your own roadside assistance.
Option 5: Ask someone you know to drive your car across the country
Your fourth option is to tap into your own network and see if a friend or family member is interested in earning themselves a few bucks on the side. As you’re probably aware, the risk of asking someone you know to drive your car is a little higher than hiring a professional driver. On the flip side, you might feel happier trusting someone you know with your vehicle.
The pros and cons of letting an acquaintance drive your car across country
The biggest advantage of letting someone you know drive your car for you is that it’s a very budget-friendly option. Another benefit is that you know the person you’re trusting with your car. You’re also going to be able to pack your car with luggage, which is bound to save money on your removal fees.
But what about the disadvantages? You might need to buy additional insurance coverage to cover the driver during their trip. This is going to add to the cost. You’re also going to have to pay additional mechanical and repair bills because of the extra wear and tear. Lastly, do you really know how good a driver they are? Unless you’ve spent time in a car with them as a passenger, you can’t really know how they’re going to be behind the wheel.Get in touch with us today and let us take care of all the details. See how affordable our prices are by using our instant online quote calculator. You can also request a quote from our shipping advisors by phone or Live Chat.