Hiring someone to drive your car cross country - A definitive guide
If you ever need to transport a vehicle cross country, there are many options to choose from. Knowing as much about each one means you’re able to make an informed decision. In this article, we’re going to look at hiring someone to drive your car cross country. We’ll look at the pros and cons and compare it with booking car transport services.
I need a driver to drive my car - what are the options?
The most obvious choice, if you need to move your car across the country, would be to drive it yourself. The next option you’re likely to consider is to hire someone to drive it for you. There are a number of reasons why you wouldn’t want to drive yourself. For example:
- A road trip can be very expensive.
- All the extra miles lead to increased maintenance costs.
- There’s a huge amount of stress involved.
- Getting stuck in traffic or losing your way.
- Increased risk of being involved in an accident.
So what about the alternative of hiring someone to drive your car for you? Basically, you’ve got two options.
Hire a professional driver
Use your favorite search engine and type in “I need a driver to drive my car” and you’ll be amazed at the number of hits you get. In those results there will be companies that have a core of drivers they can call on. Quite often, these drivers will be students or retirees, as this type of work is a popular side hustle.
If you like the idea of hiring a company to drive your car cross country your best is to find a company that specializes in this type of service, which is also known as a driveaway service.
Ask someone to drive your car across the country
The second option is to tap into your own network and see if a friend or family member is interested in earning themselves a few bucks on the side. As you might imagine, the risk of asking someone you know to drive your car is a little higher than hiring a professional driver. On the other hand, you might feel happier trusting someone you know with your vehicle.
The pros and cons of hiring a professional driver to drive your car cross country
There are several advantages if you choose to hire a driver for your own car. They include:
- You might be able to ride along: if you’re a worrier, this option is going to help you sleep at night.
- Personal service: The professional driver is able to give the task their full attention.
- Specialized insurance: Professional drivers generally carry sufficient insurance.
- Pack luggage: You should be able to transport extra luggage in your car during the journey, and some professional drivers are happy to transport pets at the same time.
- Fast service: Because there’s no loading and unloading time this service can be quicker.
On the flip side, there are some disadvantages. Such as:
- It’s expensive: Generally, hiring a professional driver to drive your car is going to be more expensive than using an auto transport service.
- Wear and tear: Because your car is being driven, there is inevitable wear and tear.
- Finding a reputable driver: This can be a challenge if you don’t know what you’re looking for. Company requirements: Some driveaway companies impose restrictions on the type of car.
The pros and cons of letting an acquaintance drive your car across the country
The biggest advantage of letting a friend drive your car for you is that it’s a very budget-friendly option. Another benefit is that you know the person you’re trusting to drive your car, which has to be comforting, right? You’re also going to be able to pack your car with luggage, which can help you save money on your removal fees.
But what about the disadvantages? You may need to buy additional insurance coverage to cover the driver during their trip, which is going to add to the cost. You’re also going to have to pay additional mechanical bills because of the extra wear and tear. Lastly, do you really know how good a driver they are? Unless you’ve spent time in a car with them as a passenger, you can’t really know how they’re going to be behind the wheel.
Booking door-to-door car transport as an alternative
If you’ve weighed up the pros and cons of both these options and have decided you’d like to know more about an auto transport service like ours, keep reading.
Now you know how affordable our auto transport is let’s look at auto transport services in a little more detail.
Use a professional auto transport company
One of the most common ways to move a vehicle across country is with an auto transport company. The drivers used by these professional companies are well trained and vetted. The vehicles they use are well-maintained, safe and secure. Auto transport companies carry their own insurance, so you know your vehicle is protected. Companies that offer auto transport services run in accordance with strict timetables and you can be confident your car will arrive on time.
The advantages of choosing an auto transport company
- Qualified drivers: Choose a reputable auto shipping company and you know the driver is knowledgeable, highly trained, and trustworthy.
- Guaranteed safety: Reputable auto transport companies carry insurance that protects your vehicle no matter what the issue.
- Saves time: Auto shipping companies are experienced in what they do. They’ve loaded and unloaded many different vehicles, and the process is quick and easy.
- Cheaper than driving: The cost of shipping a vehicle across the country is very reasonable.
- No wear and tear: Your car is carried on a trailer, so there is no wear and tear.
- Flexible service: You can choose between enclosed auto transport and open car transport, depending on the type of vehicle. Open car transport offers great value for money and is designed for standard vehicles. If, on the other hand, your vehicle is a little more unusual, high value, custom, classic, or a sports car, enclosed auto transport is the service of choice because of the extra protection it provides. Such additional protection, does, however, come at an additional price.
The disadvantages of choosing an auto transport company
Transporting extra luggage: You’re limited to 100 lbs of extra luggage. It has to be packed in a box or suitcase and secured in the trunk of your car.
There are a huge number of advantages if you choose to hire a reputable company to transport your car. Not only will it save you money, it can also save time and stress.
Get in touch with us today and let us take care of all the details. See how affordable our prices are by using our instant online quote calculator. You can also request a quote from our shipping advisors by phone or Live Chat.