How Does Express Auto Shipping Help Me?
Motorcycle Transport Options: Finding the Best Solution For You
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
There’s nothing quite like being on the open road on two wheels. Riding a motorcycle comes with a certain sense of freedom, but there are times when it’s not always the best option. For example, you might be relocating to the other side of the country and want to take your two wheels with you.
On the other hand, perhaps you’ve got a spot booked at the next Daytona Bike Week or need to get your motorcycle to a specialist motorcycle garage for some serious repairs.
Whatever the reason, shipping a motorcycle is easier than you think.
Should you transport your motorcycle yourself
A DIY approach to motorcycle shipping might seem like the best option. There are some advantages to doing everything yourself, but there are also some sizable downsides you might not have considered.
Let’s take a look at the pros and cons.
A common trait among motorcycle riders is the love of being in control. It is, after all, one of the reasons you ride a motorcycle in the first place. Your motorcycle is very precious to you, and letting it out of your sight and into the hands of a stranger can be a very unsettling thing to do.
Then there’s the shipping schedule to consider. If you choose the DIY option, you’re in complete control of when your motorcycle departs and when it reaches its final destination.
Moving your motorcycle yourself and also be less expensive than other options, but that really depends on the distance and whether you already own a well-equipped truck.
Transporting your motorcycle yourself might sound like the cheapest way to get your bike where it needs to go, but it’s not as easy as it sounds.
Firstly, you need to consider the equipment you’ll need. For example, do you have a motorcycle transport trailer or a flatbed big enough to move your bike safely? You’ll also need a ramp to get your motorcycle onto the trailer.
There are also things such as ratchet or clam buckle tie-downs that you’ll need to purchase if you haven’t already got them. All of these things are necessary if you can to secure your motorcycle. If you scrimp on the equipment, you could wind up with a damaged motorcycle.
As with almost all DIY projects, getting the job done right takes more time and money than you initially thought. You’ll also need to factor in the cost of gas and the wear and tear of your tow vehicle.
The benefits of using a professional motorcycle transport company
If you don’t want to transport your motorcycle yourself, hiring a professional motorcycle transport company to do it for you is the best option. Motorcycle transport companies like SGT Auto Transport offer the most specialized experience and equipment. Let’s give you a quick rundown of the benefits you can expect.
You may have specific concerns about using motorcycle transport services. For example, your motorcycle may have a custom paint job that warrants extra protection. Your motorcycle might be especially valuable or large. Maybe your motorcycle has a unique feature that the motorcycle carrier will need to consider during the shipping process.
If you choose a professional motorcycle transport company, they will have the necessary experience to help you navigate all these situations and more.
When a motorcycle transport company ships your motorcycle, it will put your mind at rest and ensure a smooth, timely, and damage-free shipping process for your precious two-wheeled cargo.
A company that specializes in motorcycle transport will have all the necessary equipment. It will also be custom-designed to meet the unique needs of customers’ rides. They will have invested a lot of time and money in getting all the right gear, such as tie-downs, hardware, and specialty trucks.
If you book a shipping service with a motorcycle company, you won’t have to worry about getting a crate or additional insurance. You won’t even have to get your hands dirty.
A motorcycle shipping company will provide an end-to-end service, picking up and dropping off your motorcycle from a location of your choosing. It might be from a lock-up or storage facility or right outside your front door.
There is one downside that it’s only fair to mention. Professional motorcycle transport companies have specialized equipment and expertise. Therefore, the cost of using their services can sometimes be a little higher than if you do it yourself. However, you are sure to receive a high-quality motorcycle shipping service and a safe experience that will save you time and hassle.
How to choose the best motorcycle transport services
There are many motorcycle transport companies you can use to ship a motorbike cross country. But for your precious motorbike, it’s important to choose the right one.
Choose a company that specializes in motorcycle transport, and you can be confident they’ve got the right experience, insurance, and reputation to get the job done quickly and safely.
- Compare motorcycle transport companies: They must register with the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) and have active DOT and MC numbers.
- Check insurance coverage: US law requires motorcycle transport services to have both cargo and liability insurance if they want to transport motorbikes across the country legally. Always ask a carrier for written proof of their insurance before deciding which one to hire.
- Read motorcycle transport reviews: You can get a good idea about the reliability of a company by reading motorcycle transport reviews left by previous customers. A company’s online reputation directly reflects the experience and professionalism you can expect from a motorcycle transport company.
- Extra costs and surcharges: Check whether there will be any additional costs or surcharges you need to know about in advance. It’s also a good idea to check whether there are any discounts or promotions you can take advantage of.
- Request several quotes: Request quotes from several different motorcycle transport companies and compare the cost to ship a motorbike.
How much does motorcycle transport cost?
The cost to ship a motorbike varies depending on several factors. These include:
- Distance of travel
- Pick-up and drop off locations
- Make and model of the motorcycle
- Whether the shipment is going to be expedited
- Type of motorbike transport trailer used: Typically, motorbikes are transported using an enclosed motorcycle transport trailer as these provide much more protection. However, open motorcycle transport is available for people with limited budgets or owners in a hurry.
- Time of year
- Condition of your motorcycle
Let’s list some estimated prices for various motorcycle shipping services.
|Distance||Type of transport||Avg. price per mile||Sample distance||Sample price|
|0-799 miles||enclosed||$1.42||700 miles||$995|
|800-1499 miles||enclosed||$0.84||1300 miles||$1095|
|1500-2399 miles||enclosed||$0.54||2200 miles||$1179|
|2400 miles +||enclosed||$0.41||3000 miles||$1179|
The average price per mile rates shown above reflects current market conditions as of January 2020. The rates are subject to change due to seasonal fluctuations, price of gas, pick-up/delivery locations, etc.
If you want to know how much it will cost to ship your motorcycle, get an instant quote today
How to prepare your motorcycle for transport
Before the carrier transports your motorcycle, there are some things you have to do to get it ready.
- Thoroughly clean your motorcycle
- Make a note of any chips, dings, scratches, or other cosmetic damage
- Take pictures of your bike from several angles, along with detailed shots of any existing damage
- Remove all loose items from your motorcycle
- Ensure your motorbike is in good working condition
- Inflate tires
- Charge the battery
- Fill the gas tank to 1/4 full
- Check and fix all fluid leaks
How our motorcycle transport service works
You can ship a motorcycle in 3 easy steps, and here’s how the process works.
1. Get a motorcycle shipping quote and book your order
Use our instant quote calculator to determine the cost of shipping a motorcycle. Alternatively, you can speak with our motorcycle transport advisors by phone or .
The shipping quote you get is all-inclusive and when you’re ready to make your booking, simply click on the link in the emailed quote to complete your booking.
2. We pick up your motorcycle
You’ll be contacted a few hours ahead of the scheduled pick-up time to make sure someone is available to release the motorcycle. You and the driver carefully inspect the motorcycle when it is picked up, remembering to note any damage on the Bill of Lading. Your motorcycle is then carefully loaded onto the motorcycle shipping trailer.
3. You receive your motorcycle
You’ll receive your motorcycle in just a few days. The motorcycle transport company will contact you a few hours before the delivery to make sure you’re available.
When your motorcycle is delivered, you should closely inspect it to ensure everything is in order. Then you sign the Bill of Lading to accept delivery of your motorcycle.
If you ever need to ship a motorcycle, we’d be more than happy to make all the necessary arrangements. Speak with our motorcycle shipping advisors on (864) 546-5038 to get an instant quote.