Door-to-door transportation from New York in times of COVID-19
The coronavirus pandemic has reached almost every state across the United States. For millions of people, daily life has changed in many ways, in both big and small ways. The federal government has put recovery plans in place and many states and regions are reopening. But what the future holds is still very uncertain.
At the time of publishing this article, the State of New York is one of the states that is still in shut down. New York is the hardest hit part of the state and remains on lock-down. It is, however, on track to move into the first phase of reopening on June 8. One question you might be asking is whether it’s safe to move from one state to another. In this article we’ll be giving some tips and providing relevant information for anyone who might need to move safely and quickly from one state to another.
Where to look for the most up to date COVID-19 information
Here at SGT Auto Transport we’re keeping an eye on how COVID-19 affects the auto transport industry and our customers. However, we should point out we are not health experts or a source of news on the pandemic. For the most up-to-date information, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s or World Health Organization’s websites.
What is social distancing and how could it impact your move?
To minimize the spread of COVID-19, social distancing has been introduced. The US government recommends that individuals maintain a distance of six feet from other individuals. In addition to social distancing, the CDC recommends you:
- Clean your hands often
- Avoid touching your face
- Sneeze or cough into a tissue
- Disinfect frequently used items
Such requirements can make moving a little more difficult, however, such basic hygiene standards are important. Taking such precautions only requires some extra planning. Remember to carry hand sanitizer with you at all times and tissues for sneezing or coughing into.
Can you move to a new state during COVID-19?
It is possible to move to a new state during COVID-19, but the recommendation is that you check with your moving company and local government offices to see if there are any orders restricting travel and gatherings.
Guidelines and restrictions vary from state to state. When it comes to travel, people are being urged to reconsider their domestic travel plans if they are traveling to an area with active COVID-19 spread, if you are at high risk for severe illness if you get COVID-19, and if travel will increase contact with others in crowded or densely inhabited areas.
Tips for moving safely
If you consider your move to be essential and it’s not possible for you to postpone the arrangements, there are things you can do to protect yourself and your family.
- Choose your moving company carefully: When choosing a moving company make sure they are taking the necessary precautions to ensure a safe moving experience.
- Get a virtual moving quote: A virtual survey is an alternative to the traditional in-person moving estimate.
- Clean and disinfect: Follow the CDC general recommendations for routine cleaning and disinfection of household items.
- Maintain a six-foot distance: When your belongings are being loaded and unloaded by the movers practice social distancing and refrain from helping with the move.
- Wash hands: Ask your movers to wash their hands at the door and at regular intervals.
- Follow CDC recommended protocol: Recommendations include wearing masks, avoiding touching the face, limiting food sharing, washing hands regularly, and regularly disinfecting surfaces.
- Disinfect your new home: You should clean and disinfect your furniture and belongings as you unpack and properly dispose of all packing materials.
What you should do about moving your car during COVID-19
If you’re wondering whether it’s safer to drive a car across the country or take advantage of a door-to-door car transport service like ours, let’s see if you can help you find the answer.
A road trip might seem like a fun thing to do until you realize you’ll be putting yourself at considerable risk. Car travel is possible during the current pandemic, but that doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do. Whether you’re driving your car from New York City across state lines to the next state or much further, there are a number of risks involved.
Authorities have imposed drastic measures in order to stop the spread of the coronavirus, and while some of them are being lifted, unessential travel is not one of them. You risk being fined, if the authorities consider your travel unessential.
The risks of driving compared with using a reliable car transport company
Long hours on the road can involve countless refueling stops. As well as filling up with gas you’ll also need to provide food and drinks for any passengers and yourself. Every time you stop, you come into contact with other people, thereby increasing the risk of catching the virus. You might also struggle to find accommodation as many places are still closed thanks to COVID-19.
If you choose door-to-door transportation from New York to Massachusetts or any other location, you can fly to your final destination. It’s a safer option as there’s less chance of contracting COVID-19 than if you were driving.
Why it’s better to use door-to-door transport services when moving from New York during coronavirus (COVID-19)
There are several reasons why you should use door-to-door transportation:
- It’s safer: If you use door-to-door transportation or another other location, you’re not putting yourself or any others at risk of contracting the virus.
- It’s cheaper: The cost of flying is currently much lower, due to a decrease in the number of people traveling. Flying is also much safer as there’s less chance of contracting COVID-19 than if you were driving.
- It’s more affordable: Door-to-door transport prices are also much cheaper at the moment because there’s less demand.
- It’s less busy: With so many people choosing to stay at home and only travel when it’s essential, fewer cars are being transported. Now is the perfect time to take advantage of door-to-door transport. When they finally lift the restrictions, you might find it more difficult to book the door-to-door car transport service you need.
- All the right precautions are taken: Here at SGT Auto Transport we’re taking the COVID-19 crisis very seriously. All the carriers in our network are taking all the necessary precautions. We also offer the option of paying online for door-to-door transport.
How to find a reliable car transport company to help with moving from New York during coronavirus (COVID-19)
Before you narrow down your search, you have to decide what kind of auto transport service it is you need. Most reliable car transport companies provide a range of services, such as open car transport, enclosed auto transport, guaranteed car transport pick-up, and express auto transport.
When you’ve decided on the type of auto transport service, you need it’s time to start researching different auto transport companies. There are several factors to consider when making your decision.
Are they registered?
Any company that provides an auto transport service has to register with the Department of Transport. You should always ask for the company’s DOT number. They should also have a Motor Carrier number. Check the number using the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
Are they bonded and insured?
A reliable door-to-door transport company will also be bonded and insured. Always ask what coverage is being offered by the transport company.
Search online for testimonials and reviews
You can find customer testimonials on different auto transport websites, but it’s also a good idea to look for other reviews that are being left online. Try one of these auto transport review sites:
- Transport Reviews
Check out the prices
How much it costs to transport your car varies considerably, depending on the door-to-door transport company. When you’re doing your research, compare at least three different auto transport prices. If you want to know the cost of our auto transport services, use our instant online quote calculator. Alternatively, call (864) 546-5038 or use Live chat to speak with our shipping advisors.
Is customer service available 24/7?
It’s very reassuring to know there’s someone on hand to talk to should there be a problem or you’ve got a question to ask. Look for a door-to-door transport company that offers 24/7 customer service and a variety of ways to get in touch.
If you want to know more about any of our auto transport services don’t hesitate to get in touch. You can speak with our shipping advisors by phone or today.