Best Car Transport Companies – Reviews and Costs
If you ever need to ship your car across the country, finding the best car shipping company is vital. Choosing a road trip might be one option that sounds like fun. However, many hours stuck in a vehicle, busy roads, and angry drivers doesn't seem quite so appealing.
Rather than organizing an interstate highway tour, put your precious vehicle in the caring hands of a reputable automobile shipping company like ours. Paying someone else to deliver your car has to be way easier.
Your first hurdle, however, is to find a transport company with excellent car transport rates and A star reviews. Let's go into a little more detail to help you appreciate why.
What Does it Cost to Ship a Car Across Country?
Many different factors come into play when calculating auto transport rates. Shipping comes in a variety of shapes and sizes, but there are common factors all of them use.
- Type and Size of Car – the dimensions and weight of your vehicle impact on your quote. The type and size of a car determine how many can be shipped at the same time. There’s a limited amount of space on every auto transport trailer, and the carrier has to fit them in as economically as possible. If the vehicles are small, the carrier can fit more of them on the trailer, thereby reducing the cost for individual owners.
- Condition of the Vehicle – if your vehicle isn’t running, expect to pay a little more for your shipping service. The reason is because a vehicle without steering or brake power has to be winched on and off the trailer. Another option is a forklift, but either way, specialist equipment is required.
- How Quickly You Want Your Car Shipped – here at SGT Auto Transport, we advise our customers to make their auto transport booking as far in advance as possible. If we've got enough time, it allows us to find the best deal and make the necessary arrangements. However, we completely understand that sometimes relocation plans come out of the blue, and there’s no time for booking in advance. For these occasions, and many others, an express service is available. Expect to pay, on average, around a 30% increase on the regular price. That’s a small price to pay for all the extra effort involved in organizing double-quick delivery time.
- The Time of Year – the summer months are a popular time for shipping cars, which, of course, makes it more expensive. Holidays and when the weather is unfavorable can also increase the price. There’s also the time of year when snowbirds move south for the winter, and back home again in the spring. On specific routes, for example, down to Florida, Arizona, Texas, and California, from October and again in April, prices are higher.
- Type of Shipping Service You Require – would you prefer your car was shipped in an open or enclosed trailer? The answer to this question affects your final bill. Owners of luxury, custom, classic, high-end, sports and antique vehicles prefer enclosed transport. An enclosed trailer provides maximum protection for any valuable and treasured possessions. The downside of this type of service is the price. Because there's less room in an enclosed trailer, the carrier can't fit as many vehicles inside. Fewer cars mean a higher rate. Those of you on a tight budget will be better opting for the open transport service.
- How Far You Want Your Car Shipped – this is probably the most obvious factor to bear in mind. The further you want your car transported, the higher the price. The pick up and delivery location are also going to impact on your car transport quote. If either area are remote, the cost of shipping is more expensive.
Why Customer Reviews Are Important
It’s always a good idea to check out a company’s reputation before getting in touch. There are several ways you can do this.
- Google It – the Google search engine is a great place to start if you want to find out about any company. Type the name of the ‘automobile transport company + reviews’ into the search bar and click enter. You’ll get thousands of hits. Now all you’ve got to do is sift through the results.
- Facebook – you might be used to checking up on your friends and family, but you can also use your social media channels to find out more about a company. A forward-thinking business is bound to have a page because it makes it easy for customers to get in touch and interact. It's also an excellent place for customers to leave their feedback on the service they received.
- Transportreviews.com – if you want to find reviews about particular auto transport carriers, pay this website a visit. There are hundreds of companies on file, and we happen to be one of them. It's a simple case of visiting the homepage and entering the name of the company in which you're interested.
- Trustpilot – Trustpilot is a consumer review website founded in Denmark for than a decade ago. It's the place where you can find reviews of thousands of businesses worldwide.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB) – the BBB has a database of reports relating to a company's management, complaints, and how any complaints were resolved. There’s nothing necessarily bad about a company receiving complaints. After all, even the most successful companies are going to have a few disgruntled customers. What's more important is whether the complaints were resolved satisfactorily and promptly.
- Ask for References – you have every right to ask a company to provide references. At the very least, there should be customer reviews available for you to read. When you’re looking at reviews, look for those written by people who wanted the same or a similar service as you. For example, if you need to ship a car using enclosed transport, look for reviews written by people shipping exotic, luxury, or classic cars.
- Ask Around for Recommendations – have you got a family member, friend, neighbor, or work colleague who has used a reliable car transport service? Ask them about their experience and whether they would recommend the company they used.
The cost of service and the reputation of a company are the two most important factors to consider when looking for an auto transport management company like ours.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch, we'd love to hear from you. Call (866) 774 6570 or use our online chat option. Alternatively, leave us a message on our Facebook page or send us an email.