How to ship a car from Florida to California and vice versa
If you ever need to transport a car almost three thousand miles from Florida to California, or perhaps in the other direction, there are many ways you can do it. How do you like the sound of shipping it by plane or train? Then there’s the option of hiring a professional to drive it for you, or why not take a long road trip and drive it yourself? However, one of the best ways of shipping a car cross country is to partner with an auto transport management company. We’ll be looking at all of these options right here, as well as the pros and cons of each one.
Cross country car shipping options
There are many reasons why you might want to ship a car across country. You could be moving house to a new location, relocating from Miami to Los Angeles because you’ve got a promotion, or you’ve bought a car online from a dealer in San Diego and you need to get it to your home in Jacksonville. Whatever the reason, understanding the options means you can choose what’s right for you.
Moving a vehicle across several states and thousands of miles can be a challenge, but not if you’ve got all the right information, and you’ll find it right here. We’ll help you with the question “How do I ship a car across country?” by giving you all the options.
With an auto transport management company
One of the best ways to ship a car from California to Florida or in the other direction is with the help of an auto transport management company like us here at SGT Auto Transport. But you don’t have to take our word for it because we’re happy to explain.
What is an auto transport management company?
An auto transport management company’s services include coordinating the entire car shipping process, keeping the client updated, dealing with any hiccups during the shipping process, making sure the carrier delivers the vehicle on time, and the customer is delighted with the service. In other words, they manage the entire shipping process from the moment you get in touch to the final delivery.
Why auto transport is the best option
The options we’re going to discuss below will sound very appealing, but not when you compare them with the service you get from an auto transport management company. You pay one price, and that includes everything. There are no other expenses or hidden costs to worry about. When you request an instant quote, the price is fully inclusive. Wear and tear and repair costs later down the line aren’t an issue either.
Ship your car across country, and you’re not going to spend hours sitting behind the wheel, get stuck in traffic, run the risk of being involved in a car accident, or stressed about the weather.
One of the most significant advantages, aside from the affordable cost, is that auto transport is door-to-door. You don’t have to get your car to an airport or train station, simply pick the most convenient location, and a carrier will collect and deliver your vehicle, as long as it’s safe and legal to do so. The location might be right outside your door, a parking lot at the end of your street, a storage facility, or from your office. You get to decide.
- Its the cheapest way to ship a car across country
- There’s no wear and tear on your car
- Shipping a car cross country is stress-free
- No extra miles are added to the odometer
- Saves time and effort
- Multiple vehicle shipping is an option
- Additional protection for valuable vehicles with enclosed auto transport
- Door-to-door service
- Express service is available if you’re in a hurry
- Not all locations are accessible for auto transport trucks and trailers. However, there is usually a location nearby that is suitable
How much does it cost to ship a car across country
Price is possibly one of the most important factors for anyone who wants to ship a car across country. It’s tough to put an exact price on an auto transport service without all the relevant details. However, we can explain the many factors that have to be taken into account. These factors include:
- The make, model, and year of the car you need to ship
- The distance your vehicle has to travel
- Whether the carrier is going to pick up and deliver your vehicle to a remote or metropolitan location
- The time of year
- The current price of fuel
- Which type of auto transport service you’d prefer
For an exact price, please use our online instant quote calculator. Alternatively, speak directly with one of our shipping advisors.
Get a quote and book your order. We pick up your vehicle and then deliver it: 3 easy steps
Choose an auto transport management company like SGT Auto Transport, and the whole process is a straightforward one.
The first step is to get your personalized quote. You can do this online or speak directly by phone or . Simply provide a few details, such as the pick- up and delivery locations, make, model, and year of the car, the vehicle’s condition, and transport type. You’ll also need to state the first date you’ll have your car ready for the pick-up. If you like the price, you make your booking.
The carrier will pick up your vehicle at the pre-arranged time. They will, however, call a few hours ahead of time to confirm the arrangements. When the carrier picks up your vehicle, both you and the driver must inspect its condition, noting any existing damage on the Bill of Lading. Once the paperwork is complete, your vehicle will be on its way.
The carrier will contact you again when they’re close to the delivery location. They do this so they can make sure you’re available to receive your vehicle. When they deliver your vehicle, you get an opportunity to check everything is in order. You then sign the Bill of Lading to accept your order.
What are the options when it comes to auto transport services?
When you get in touch with an auto transport company, you have to decide which service you want to book. There are several options to choose from, for example:
- Open car transport
- Enclosed auto transport
- Hawaii car transport
- International car shipping
Open vs. enclosed auto transport
One of the most budget-friendly options is open car transport. A carrier transports your vehicle in an open trailer. Your vehicle will be exposed to traffic grime and the elements, but this is still a perfectly safe and secure option for owners who want to ship a standard car.
Enclosed auto transport costs a little more. Prices are around 30% to 40% higher. With this service, a carrier transports your vehicle in a trailer that is enclosed on all sides. Such additional protection, of course, comes at a higher price. Enclosed auto transport is a service we generally recommend for owners of high-value cars, such as luxury, antique, custom, classic, and unique cars.
How long does it take to ship a car across country
On average, you can expect an auto transport truck and trailer to cover several hundred miles in one day. Therefore, how long it will take a carrier to transport your car depends on the distance between the pick-up and delivery locations. If you are shipping a car from Florida to California, it could take a couple of weeks, likewise, if you’re shipping a car from California to Florida.
How to find a reliable auto transport management company
Your car is possibly one of the most significant investments you’ll make, so it makes sense to want the most reliable auto transport management company. Here are some factors for you to bear in mind:
- Make sure the company is registered with the Department of Transport. Always ask for their DOT number and check it online using the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website.
- Choose a company that is bonded and insured
- Look for a company with a professional-looking website
- Read as many online reviews and testimonials as you can find about the company
- Make sure transparency is a priority
- Find our the process should damage occur
- Don’t forget to read and understand the fine print of the auto transport contract
- Look for 24/7 customer support
If you ever need to ship a car from California to Florida or vice versa, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us here at SGT Auto Transport. We provide a service that ticks all the boxes, and we can start with an instant online free quote.
Did you know shipping a car across country is possible by train? In some ways, it’s cheaper, but not when you add in the extras, such as getting your car to the train station. You then have to get to the station to collect it and drive it home. If you have to travel many miles to get to the station, the cost is going to increase significantly.
- The cost can sometimes be lower than other options
- Trains have a lower carbon footprint, so they are better for the environment
- Rail services cover most of the major routes
- Both open and enclosed transport options are available
- Door-to-door transport is not an option
- You have to travel to deliver and pick-up your vehicle from a designated station
- Shipping by rail generally takes much longer
- Transportation by rail can work out to be considerably more expensive when you factor in the additional costs
- Trains run on a defined route and stick to a time and schedule, which means it’s not a flexible service
- You can’t transport personal items in your vehicle
If you want to transport a vehicle by plane, you need to have deep pockets. Air transport is one of the most expensive ways for you to transport a car across the country. It’s rapid and safe, but this comes at a price. If you own a rare, antique, expensive, custom, or exotic car, it might seem like an option. That is until you factor in the fact that you’ve got to get your vehicle to the airport and pick it up again at the final destination.
- It’s safe and secure
- It’s quick
- The cost is very high
- You have to make arrangements to get your vehicle to and from the airport
Drive it yourself
How cool does a road trip sound? Cruising along the highway with your family or friends for more than two thousand miles should be a blast, right? You’ll be able to explore different locations and attractions along the way. Stop off at a local restaurant when you’re feeling hungry. Spend a night or two at different hotels or motels along the way. This all sounds like a great way to spend a couple of weeks. That is until you delve a little deeper and realize what you’d be letting yourselves in for.
However, if you want to transport your car from California to Florida or from Florida to California, that’s quite an undertaking. According to Google maps, the distance between these two states is more than 2,700 miles. Drive non-stop, and it’ll take you forty hours, as long as there is no other traffic. Obviously, this is completely unrealistic as nobody can drive safely for such a long period of time.
Split the journey up into smaller sections, and the trip could take more than ten days. Have you got this much free time to spare? Add in some additional costs for accommodation, the cost of food and drink, fuel, and road tolls, and your extended road trip could break the bank.
Something else to consider is that if you drive your car, it adds extra miles onto the odometer and increases wear and tear on the engine, brakes, and tires. These are additional costs that you have to cover further down the line.
Stress is also going to be a factor. Drive for 250 miles, and at the end of the day, you’re going to be tired and stressed. Multiply this by ten or more days, and you’ll have a very tiring and stressful road trip experience.
- When you drive your own car, you get to travel at your own pace
- If you want to, you can make pit stops along the way
- There will be lots of opportunities for fun with your family
- Along the route, you get to visit new and interesting places
- All around you, there will be beautiful countryside to enjoy
- When you factor in additional costs such as the cost of fuel, accommodation, meals, and drinks along the way, and wear and tear of your vehicle, the cost can be very high
- Driving long distances can be very dangerous
- It can be very stressful when you’re sat behind the wheel for hours at a time
- The progress you make will depend on the weather and traffic conditions
- Driving several thousand miles safely will take a long time
Hire someone to drive your car for you
Did you know you can hire drivers to drive your car for you? These companies specialize in this type of service, and their employees are often retirees or students who use this type of work as a side hustle.
There’s also the option of employing someone directly, without using a third party. You often find people advertising this type of service in the local ads.
- You might be able to ride along with them
- It’s a very personal service
- Specialized insurance is an option
- You’ll be able to transport extra luggage in the car
- The service is fast
- When you compare the cost with cross country vehicle shipping, it can be very expensive
- Unnecessary wear and tear of your vehicle
- Finding a reputable and trustworthy individual driver or company could be difficult
Have a friend or family member drive your car for you
Perhaps you have a friend or relative who could drive your car for you. It’s certainly a very budget-friendly option, and you know the person who is going to drive your car. Another benefit is that you can fill you car with extra luggage and save money on removal fees. There are, however, a few disadvantages. These include unnecessary wear and tear on your vehicle and the need for additional insurance.
- Affordable option
- You can trust the driver
- There’s the option of transporting your personal belongings
- You may require additional insurance, which adds to the cost
- There will be additional repair and maintenance bills because of the extra wear and tear
- Do you really know how good a driver they are?
If you ever need to ship a car from Florida to California or from California to Florida, let us provide a seamless service for you. Call (864) 546-5038 to speak with one of our shipping advisors or use our option.