Is Long Distance Towing a Viable Choice for Car Transport?
How to Sell a Car on Facebook Marketplace - Your Quick and Easy Guide
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Selling a car on Facebook Marketplace is a pleasant experience, as long as you do it right. We thought it would be a good idea to guide you through the process.
In this guide, we’ll look at the pros and cons, guide you through the process, and share some useful tips.
What is Facebook Marketplace?
Facebook Marketplace is a feature of the popular social media platform that people use to buy and sell a wide variety of items in their local area. In 2021, the platform reported almost 250 million stores and one million active users, which goes to show how popular it is.
People use the platform as a one-stop for selling or buying not just cars but household items, clothes, furniture, and much more.
If it’s your first time using Facebook Marketplace, some guidance is recommended, and this is where we can help.
To find Facebook Marketplace, open the Facebook app and tap the Marketplace icon. It looks like a small house or shopfront.
The pros of using Marketplace
There are numerous benefits to using Marketplace to sell a car on Facebook. Here are some you might be interested in:
- Extended reach: Facebook has 2.9 billion active monthly users worldwide, which means there’s a good chance you’ll find a buyer for your car. Facebook is also one of the most popular social media channels, so you might not have to wait long for an interested buyer to contact you.
- Quick sales: A unique feature of Facebook Marketplace is that visitors are usually ready to buy. This is not the case with many other classified sites, where people are often just browsing.
- Personalized experience: Thanks to the Facebook algorithm, interested buyers are shown the products they’ve previously searched for. Buyers are therefore more likely to find what they’re looking for.
- More interaction: Communication takes place via Messenger, so you can get to know the buyer before making a sale. It also allows you to build rapport and trust. This will lead to a smoother transaction.
The cons of using Marketplace
If you’re thinking about selling a car on Facebook Marketplace, it’s important to understand the downside of using this platform.
- Zero protection: Facebook offers no buyer or seller protection. With peer-to-peer platforms like this one, buyers and sellers are on their own.
- No vetting: It’s hard to know who you’re dealing with because anyone with an email address can sign up for Facebook and create an account. You might find that a buyer fails to show up or they’re not who they say they are. That’s why it’s important to be wary of fraudulent buyers.
- No customer service: Facebook plays no part in the transaction between buyer and seller. Should there be a dispute, you’re left to handle it on your own.
How to sell a car on Facebook - The listing process
One of the most important parts of the selling process is getting the listing right. The actual process might differ based on your circumstances, but there are some common steps you should follow to ensure a smooth sale.
Make sure to take good-quality photos of your car from a variety of angles. Include shots of the engine bay, interior, front, back, and sides. If there’s any damage, it’s a good idea to take some close-ups.
The photos should be well-lit and in focus. Avoid any kind of filter as these can distort colors. You might use a professional photographer, but there’s no need. If your phone camera takes high-quality photos, you should be able to take some amazing shots at no cost to you.
When you’ve got a collection of images you’re happy with, upload them to Facebook. It’ll be much easier if you use a computer, rather than a smartphone, for this part of the process.
Your next step is to write a detailed and accurate description of your car. The details you should mention include:
- Make, model, and year
- Exterior and interior colors
- Trim level
- Transmission type
- Fuel type
- Title status
- Any damage or wear and tear
Before you publish the details, proofread it carefully. Be honest about the condition of your car and if it’s damaged in any way, mention it in the listing.
In this section of your listing, you get to write a more detailed description. Include information such as why you’re selling the car and what makes it different from similar vehicles.
You might like to mention how often you change the oil, including recent repairs or replacements, and other maintenance work. If the car has any modifications, you can mention these here as well.
The idea is for a prospective buyer to get an accurate picture of your car and what they’re buying. The more details you provide, the more likely you’ll make a sale.
This is possibly the hardest part of creating a listing, especially if you’ve got no experience with selling cars. You can research the value of your car using an online service like Kelley Blue Book. check out classified ads to see what other people are selling similar cars for.
With an idea of the value of your car, you can set a price in line with the market. Remember the buyer may want to negotiate, so don’t set the price too low.
It’s also an idea to check the prices of similar vehicles for sale on Facebook Marketplace. Price your car higher than all the others, and it’s unlikely to sell.
Once you’ve set a price, it’s time to post the listing. Be prepared for potential buyers to ask questions within a few hours or days. When you answer, be honest and patient.
How to sell a car on Facebook Market - Best practices
The lack of vetting and customer support can make selling a car on Marketplace quite tricky. Here are some best practices you might want to follow.
Post quality images from every angle and include features and flaws
Any prospective buyer relies on photos more than anything. In the majority of cases, people only move on to the description if the photos catch their eye.
Photos should be of the highest quality. To help you achieve that, here are some tips:
- Wash your car before taking photos
- Natural light is best
- Take photos from different angles
- Include close-ups of features that might be appealing and any flaws that need mentioning
- Take interior photos, including the engine bay and trunk
- To avoid blurry photos, use a tripod or place the camera on a level surface
Don’t just highlight the flashy features. If you’ve mentioned a scratch or dent in the description, include a picture of it too. A clear picture of such damage gives the buyer a better idea of what to expect.
Include a thorough and detailed description
Once you’ve caught a buyer's attention with your quality photos, it’s time to reel them in with the nitty-gritty details about your car.
Start with the basics, such as the make, model, year, trim, color, and mileage. Then you can move on to more specific details that will help the buyer decide whether your car is right for them.
Include some of the following in your description:
- Condition: whether the car is mint, fair, or needs work
- Any aftermarket additions or modifications
- Service history: when you changed the oil, brake pads, tires, etc.
- Accidents: whether you’ve had any, when, and what kind
- Warranty: how much is left and what does it cover
- Receipts: for any mods or recent repairs
- Safety and emissions test results
- Information about the title: is it clean, a salvage, or a rebuild?
- Financing on the car: mention if there is a load that needs to be paid off
It’s critical to be as transparent as possible because you’ll have to deal with any disputes should they arise. Facebook will not act as a mediator whatever happens. It’s therefore best to avoid any disputes by being as accurate as possible.
Provide the VIN to potential buyers
One of the best tips we want to share for selling a car on Facebook Marketplace is to share the VIN with a prospective buyer. VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number and this 17-digit code is a unique identifier for your vehicle.
If you provide the VIN in your listing, prospective buyers will be able to request a history report. It will give them peace of mind and build trust.
If you don’t feel comfortable sharing it with everyone, only share it with people who express an interest in buying your car. For example, share the VIN after they’ve given you their name and contact details.
Be honest and authentic
The first rule of selling a car on any platform is to be honest and authentic. Try to hide anything or mislead buyers, and you’re opening a can of worms.
For example, if you say the car is in perfect condition but it’s got a few scratches, the buyer will be disappointed when they see the car in person. It could lead to disputes or even legal issues.
Now you know how to safely sell a car on Facebook Marketplace you shouldn’t be so scared about doing it. Something you might want to offer, perhaps to sweeten the deal, is the contact details of a reliable auto transport company that could ship the car cross country for the buyer.
Want to know the cost of shipping a car with us?
Does Facebook charge to post a car for sale?
You don’t need to pay any fees to list an item for sale on Facebook Marketplace. However, there is a small fee on all items sold through the platform. The amount Facebook takes depends on how much money you receive in payment. If you’re paid $8 or less, Facebook charges a flat selling fee of $0.40. If you’re paid more than $8, Facebook takes 5% of the payment.
What paperwork is needed?
All states require a title in your name when selling a car to a private party. If you don’t have a Title-of-Ownership, you’ll need to file for a replacement at your nearest DMV office.
Do dealers advertise on Facebook?
Yes, they do. This is why it’s crucial to provide buyers with a quality listing. Making your post unique and specific to your vehicle, helps it stand out from the various dealers posting daily.