What is the Fastest Way to Ship a Car?
What are the Benefits of Flatbed Auto Transport?
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Many different vehicles are used for shipping vehicles across the country. If you ever need to ship a vehicle, it helps if you understand some of the options.
In this post, we’re going to look at flatbed auto transport and help you understand what it is. It’s highly likely you’ll have seen a flatbed trailer when driving on the highway. They are quite common, which could be because they come with so many benefits compared to other forms of shipping.
What is flatbed car transport?
Flatbed vehicle transport is a process that involves using a flatbed trailer to ship vehicles. There are several types of flatbed truck you can use to move a car, for example, removable goosenecks, and step deck trailers. However, they all have one thing in common.
They have a flat surface at the back on which it’s possible to load and transport a vehicle. The vehicle is secured to the flatbed trailer using tie-down straps.
Diverse types of flatbeds
One of the features that makes flatbed trailers so useful is that there are many assorted designs that can be used for distinct types of cargo. Flatbed types include:
- Double drop: This type of flatbed trailer has three heights in the trailer area. The lowest can accommodate taller goods. This trailer is suitable for items up to twelve feet in height.
- Step deck: This type of flatbed can also accommodate taller freight up to ten feet high. It has a lower drop deck much the same as a double drop, but the truck is higher up.
- Stretch: This type of flatbed is designed for long freight. It can extend from forty-eight feet to eighty feet so that it can accommodate longer goods. However, as the trailer expands, the weight limit goes down.
- Conestoga: This flatbed has a rail system that helps cover the deck and keep goods secure and safe. It includes a tarp that provides additional protection. If the tarp is used, it restricts the height and width of goods that can fit.
- Removable gooseneck: this flatbed is perfect for transporting larger vehicles. The gooseneck section can be removed to make a ramp available. This means vehicles can be driven straight onto the flatbed.
Typical uses for a flatbed trailer
A variety of different freight is typically transported by flatbed truck:
- Vehicles such as cars, vans, and motorcycles
- Heavy machinery and specialized equipment, such as excavators, bulldozers, and cranes
- Large pieces of furniture, including sofas, beds, household appliances, tables, and chairs
- Shipping crates
- Large construction equipment, such as backhoes, tractors, and dumpsters
- Bulky cargo such as pallets, barrels, and boxes
- Heavy items like boats, RVs, pianos, and even houses
- Building materials such as steel and iron rods, concrete slabs, scaffolding, bricks, and lumber
- Agricultural equipment
The benefits of flatbed car shipping
If you decide to book a flatbed car carrier, there are many benefits you can expect to enjoy. We’ll list some of the most important ones below:
Flatbeds are very versatile when it comes to shipping loads. It’s possible to ship vehicles such as SUVs and sedans, oversized equipment like RVs and cranes, or motorcycles. There is a massive variety of flatbeds available which increases the versatility of this transportation option. It has also helped them become the go-to shipping option for most vehicles.
Easier loading and unloading
A flatbed trailer has no walls or ceiling which means there’s nothing to get in the way of the loading and unloading. Even if a vehicle can’t be driven or it’s oversized, the carrier can load the items from the side using a forklift or some other kind of loading equipment.
Heavy duty option
Flatbed trailers are built with heavy-duty materials that are designed to withstand the stress of hauling heavy loads. The trailer’s durable construction means they can transport several cars simultaneously or oversized and heavy vehicles such as school buses or construction equipment.
A flatbed trailer can elevate its cargo far away from the road which means it’s less likely to suffer damage from road debris and particles. The trailers also have advanced shock-absorbing systems that protect vehicles from damage due to jolts and shocks from the road surface.
Flatbed car shipping is a very cost-effective way to ship your vehicle. This is because multiple vehicles can be shipped at the same time and the cost of shipping can be shared by the owners of the vehicles being shipped.
Flatbed carriers meet the requirements of most customers who want to ship a vehicle. Thanks to the benefits of cost efficiency and versatility, they are also a reliable way to move your car across the country.
Here at SGT Auto Transport, we have the means to organize flatbed auto transport and have been providing this service for many years. If you’d like to book a flatbed truck to move your car, use our instant quote calculator to find out how much it will cost.
Our professional shipping advisors are also waiting to answer any questions you might have at (864) 546-5038. Alternatively, we have a option if you prefer.
When is flatbed vehicle transport not the best option?
Flatbeds can be used to ship diverse types of vehicles, but they lack the protection necessary for shipping high-value and exotic cars. Their generous size can also make accessing certain locations challenging, such as residential areas, tight roads, small bridges, or tunnels.
What factors impact the cost of flatbed shipping?
The factors that can affect the cost of flatbed car shipping include:
- Weather conditions
- Flatbed trailer sizes
- The origin and destination for the shipment
- Urgency of the shipment
How much weight can a flatbed haul?
Deck sizes and height limits vary depending on the flatbed. However, in general, most flatbed vehicles can transport up to 48,000 pounds.