How To Ship a Vintage Motorcycle
What Is the Best Way to Move Cross Country?
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
There are many things to consider when you want to move cross country. In this post, we’ll cover all the basics to help you decide the best possible way to do it.
Thousands of people bravely up sticks and move across the country every year. It can be stressful for everyone involved, but there is a way to lighten the load. How you’re going to move your belongings is often an easy decision to make, but what about your car?
There is the option to drive to your new home, but there is an option that delivers your car to your door. If you want to know more, keep reading. We’ll help you find the best way to move across country and share some tips to make the process run like clockwork.
What are your options if you want to ship a car cross country?
- Driving yourself: This is often the most obvious option, and on the surface, it sounds like a fantastic idea. However, there are some disadvantages. There will be additional costs to pay, making it more expensive than auto transport. Driving long distances can also be very stressful and dangerous.
- Hiring a driver: You can hire a professional driver to move your car across the country, but this is a costly alternative to cross-country car shipping. In addition, unnecessary wear and tear is something else you should take into account.
- Shipping by rail: The train seems like an excellent idea, but routes are very limited, which means it’s not really an option for many people.
- Using a dolly or trailer: If you’ve never towed a trailer or driven with a dolly before, this is not a smart thing to do, especially long-distance. There are also additional costs to consider.
- Letting a family member drive your car for you: If you trust the person driving, this is a very affordable option, plus you’ll be able to transport some of your personal belongings in the car at the same time. However, you’ll need to take out additional insurance coverage, there is extra wear and tear, and are you confident in their driving skills?
How does auto transport work?
Now you’re more aware of the options, let’s look at one option we’re confident will work for most people when it comes to cross country moving.
The auto transport process is very straightforward. All it takes is three steps.
Step 1: Get a quote and book your service
Get an instant quote using our online instant quote calculator, and it’s super quick and easy. Alternatively, you can speak directly with one of our shipping advisors by calling (864) 546-5038 or using Live Chat.
If you’re happy with the price, book your order, and we’ll take care of all the arrangements.
Step 2: We pick up your car
The carrier will contact you a few hours before the arranged pick-up time to confirm the location and time. They also want to check you’re available and that the location is accessible for large commercial vehicles.
When the carrier arrives, you’ll carefully inspect your car with the driver and make a note of any existing damage on the Bill of Lading. With the paperwork complete, the driver will load your vehicle and be on their way.
You’ll be kept informed of your vehicle’s progress, but if you’re at all concerned, you can check in with the driver. However, be aware that they might not answer immediately if they are driving.
Step 3: We deliver your car
You’ll be contacted again when your vehicle is nearing its final destination. The driver wants to make sure you’re going to be at the agreed location to accept delivery of your car. If you know you’re going to be unavailable, you can nominate a third party to accept the delivery on your behalf.
When the carrier delivers your car, take the time to inspect it closely to make sure everything is in order. If everything is OK, sign the Bill of Lading, and the driver will be on their way.
What are the benefits of using auto transport when moving cross country?
Cross country auto transport is the best way to move cross country with a car for several reasons:
Competitive rates and attractive discounts
The average cost of moving cross country with a car depends on several things, such as the vehicle’s size and weight, the actual shipping distance, the route taken during transportation, and the current cost of fuel.
SGT Auto Transport rates are very competitive and to make the service even better, we also offer attractive discounts. For example, members of the military and returning snowbirds may be eligible for special discounts.
Reliable and professional service
We only use carriers who are fully vetted and subject to various background checks. We ensure your car is shipped safely and securely, the carrier uses the right equipment, and your vehicle is treated with the care it deserves. We also aim to ensure your car arrives on time and there are no complications.
If you’re thinking about driving yourself, be prepared for moving cross country to take several days, possibly a week, or even longer. Instead, choose car shipping, and you can schedule your shipment for a time that suits you. Then, you can travel across the country by plane or train and be there at the final destination to accept the delivery of your car.
We’ve already mentioned your other options, and several of them will cost more than a car shipping service. In addition, you don’t have to worry about the hidden cost of unnecessary wear and tear or too many additional travel expenses.
Less planning and stress
With cross country moving, there are many things to consider, but without the stress of moving your car, you’ll be able to focus on other essential things.
A safe and convenient option
When it comes to your car, the best way to move cross country is to take advantage of a car shipping service. Arrangements are made for the carrier to come as close as they can to your home when they pick up your vehicle. They will also deliver your car as close to your new home as they can.
Your vehicle is protected
Driving your car thousands of miles causes considerable wear and tear. This means additional costly repairs and a reduction in the vehicle’s resale value. You can avoid all this extra mileage if you ship your car. Also, let’s not forget the increased risk of being involved in a road traffic accident when you drive long distances.
You can ship multiple vehicles
According to figures gathered in 2017, 33.1% of US households owned more than one vehicle. 14.9% have more than three vehicles, 6.1% have four, and 3.4% have five vehicles. Ship your car out of state with us, and you’ll be able to include more than one vehicle in the shipment.
Now we’ve looked at how you can ship your car, let’s quickly share some tips for moving cross country.
Cross country moving tips for organizing the move
- Be organized: Start making plans as far in advance as possible. Once you’ve decided to move, start planning how you’ll do it. Make use of a checklist as they’re a great way to keep on top of things you need to do. You’ve got movers to organize and cross country vehicle shipping to arrange.
- Don’t make long-term commitments: It’s wise not to make long-term commitments as soon as you arrive. Instead, start by renting as it’s a great way to settle into a new city. If you commit to buying a home or signing a long-term lease, you’re going to be stuck if you find you don’t like the neighborhood, or even worse, your new job.
- Build a social support network: Use the friends you’ve already got to network and make new friends, much like you would when networking for a job. Services such as MeetUp can be used to find people in the area with similar hobbies or interests.
- Making the transition easier: Being in a new city can be super stressful, and you can quickly feel overwhelmed. There are, however, some things you can do to make the relocation easier. For example:
- Be a tourist: start by becoming a tourist in your new city. Spend your free time exploring like a tourist. The more you explore, the more comfortable you’ll feel in your new surroundings.
- Keep it simple: Simplify your life as much as possible for the first few months.
- Maintain a familiar routine: Is there an aspect of your usual routine you can take with you to your new location, such as going to the local gym.
- Explore new opportunities: Moving cross country is the perfect opportunity to reinvent yourself.
- Build your social and professional network: Talk to new colleagues about the city and what they like to do. Are there any social clubs you can join? Is there a local sports group you can sign up to?
- Don’t forget about downtime: Remember to stay grounded and schedule some time for yourself. Spend time doing simple activities such as relaxing on the couch with a book or cooking dinner. These activities give your brain and body the time it needs to process and adjust to all the changes that have taken place in your life recently.
If you’re about to move across the country and are looking for a reputable cross country car shipping provider, get in touch today and request an instant quote. We have an online quote calculator, and our shipping advisors are also available by calling (864) 546-5038 or on Live Chat.