6 Reasons to Ship Your Car if You're Moving Across the Country for College
How Does Express Auto Shipping Help Me?
Things tend to happen according to a standard time frame in the auto transport world. However, there are occasions when something a little different is required. If, for example, you need your car shipped quicker than the standard time frame, you can choose express auto shipping.
In this post, we’re going to explore this option so you can see if it’s the right fit for you.
What is express auto transport?
Express auto transport, or expedited car shipping as it is also known, is when a customer needs a car delivered as quickly as possible. This might mean at an exact date or by an exact date.
When it comes to the auto transport industry, the most efficient way is to move several vehicles at the same time. However, this is not always the fastest. The fewer cars a carrier has to load, the quicker the service.
There is an exception, and that’s when shipping to and from a major city. In this case, it’s easier to find a carrier to pick up faster. In a major metropolitan area, more trucks are available for a particular route.
Our shipping advisors will do everything they can to find the most convenient location and the best carrier to accommodate your time frame.
What are the benefits of express car shipping?
There are many benefits for anyone who decides to use express shipping for moving a vehicle. For example, choose SGT Auto Transport, and you get:
Minimal waiting times – Choose our express shipping service, and your car gets top priority when it comes to the pick-up. The industry standard timeline is between 5 and 7 days. Express or expedited pick-up cuts the time to between 1 and 2 business days.
Regular progress updates – For your peace of mind, it’s possible to schedule regular updates on the progress of your vehicle. It’s also possible for you to stay in touch with the auto transport carriers and the driver responsible for hauling your car.
Ship personal items – The car moving companies we work with allow you to ship one box or suitcase in the trunk of your vehicle at no extra cost. It does, however, have to weigh no more than 100lbs. Also, bear in mind that you’re not allowed to ship unlawful items in the trunk of your car, and the assigned carrier has the right to check you’ve followed the requirements.
Simple shipping process – Express shipping is easier to arrange than you might think. Call (864) 546 5038 and speak with our shipping advisors. You can also contact them using our online instant chat or by sending an email to [email protected] If you want an idea of the price, there’s a handy online calculator for you to use. Once you’ve received a price for the service, it’s a simple case of making the booking. We do everything else for you. Apart from paying, of course!
Discounts available – We have several different discounts you might be eligible for. Snowbirds, students, and of course, military members may be entitled to claim a discount on the cost to ship a car.
Door-to-door car transport – Our door-to-door car service means you don’t have to stress over driving your car to the nearest terminal to be picked up. We can arrange to ship from a location of your choice. It might be right outside your home, in a parking lot down the street, from a local storage facility, or your office. As long as there’s room for a truck and trailer to drive along the street and no parking or other restrictions.
It sounds like a good service if you want to ship your car faster than normal. There is, however, one downside you need to be aware of.
How much does it cost to ship a car quickly?
Many factors come into play when calculating the final cost of shipping a car. If you choose express auto transport, the same variables play an even greater role. The factors that can affect the cost of shipping a vehicle quickly include:
- Pick-up and delivery locations: Remote areas are more expensive than metropolitan locations.
- Distance traveled: The further we have to transport your car, the higher the cost.
- Type of transport service: You can choose between open car transport, enclosed auto transport, guaranteed pick-up service, fast car transport, snowbirds, student, and military car shipping.
- Year, make, and model of your vehicle: A standard sedan will be cheaper to transport than a Hummer, for example.
- Is the vehicle running?: If your car is not running, it costs more to ship because we need specialist equipment.
- Supply and demand: More popular routes generally cost less.
- Time of the year: There are seasonal variations when it comes to the cost of shipping a car
Carrier’s route and schedule
An express car shipping service costs more because you have to pay a premium to prioritize your vehicle. How much you’re willing to pay will determine the pick-up and delivery time frame. If you want a carrier to change schedules and divert from their route to pick up and deliver your vehicle first, you need to pay extra.
Open or enclosed truck
Whether you choose an open or enclosed auto transport service matters. It’s much easier and quicker to schedule an open carrier. If, on the other hand, you want an enclosed trailer, the price will be higher, especially if you require specific dates.
Shipping by or at an exact date
When you want a car picked up on an exact date this often requires a single car carrier. This type of carrier generally runs shorter local distances, but it can also be used for express car shipping. This type of carrier generally costs more.
Current supply and demand
Supply and demand almost always affect the price of express car shipping. Customers often find themselves competing against each other for a spot on a carrier. Higher-paying vehicles tend to get dispatched and shipped first. If you need an express car shipping service, this additionally raises the price of shipping a vehicle.
You’re not going to be surprised when we tell you that our express service costs a little more than the standard one. How much extra depends on the distance, type of vehicle, the popularity of the pick-up and delivery locations, and the weather. On average, the increase is around 30%, or between $200 and $300. If you choose our enclosed service as well the price is even higher.
The reason you have to pay extra is to cover the cost of the extra effort required to arrange such a service. Your shipment also takes priority over other customers, and there may be additional fuel costs and extra driving.
If you want to know more about our expedited service, get an instant quote today.
Who might want express auto transport?
There are times when waiting is not an option. Let’s look at some examples of when this might apply:
- If a dealership has a particularly demanding client who has just purchased a new luxury car, they might think it worthwhile speeding up the delivery.
- If you need your car in a hurry and you can’t drive anything else or it’s a statement car or your lucky car, you might be willing to pay a little extra for the convenience of having your car to drive.
- If you’ve just found out you’re relocating in a week and you need to take your car with you.
- If you’ve just found out there’s a custom/classic car show you really must attend and you’ve only got a couple of days to get your car there.
What are the other auto shipping options?
Whether you’re shipping a car across state lines, from one city to another, or across the country, you have several services to choose from. We’re looking at express auto shipping in this post, but the two most popular transport services are open car transport and enclosed auto transport.
Open car transport
Open car transport is the preferred choice for most private car owners and car dealerships. It also happens to be a very budget-friendly option. If you choose this option, the carrier loads your car onto a trailer along with several others.
The trailer is open, which means your car is exposed to the weather and traffic grime. You might think it sounds a little off-putting, but it’s one of the safest ways to transport a vehicle.
Enclosed auto transport
Enclosed auto transport is the service preferred by owners of classic, luxury, custom, new, antique, exotic, and modified cars. It is recommended when a car owner wants complete protection for their vehicle. Carriers that provide this service use trailers that are enclosed on all four sides.
Enclosed auto transport costs a little extra, around 30% to 40%, but can you put a price on total peace of mind and premium service? You should also remember that if you want your car shipped super quickly, it will cost an additional amount of money.
Getting your car ready for express auto shipping
Once you’ve accepted your quote and confirmed your booking, all you’ve got left to do is prep your car ready for shipping. Here are some things you can do to help make the process run smoothly.
- Clean the inside and outside of your car: This saves you time at the other end and allows you to check for dents, dings, and scratches.
- Photograph and record any damage: You’ll be able to use this to compare the condition of your vehicle when it’s delivered.
- A few quick checks: To make sure your car is ready to be driven away upon delivery, check the fluids are topped up, the tires are correctly inflated, and the battery is fully charged.
- Removable parts need to be removed or secured: Remove items such as your GPS, car charger, after-market DVD player, and stereo.
- Deactivate the alarm, parking passes, and toll tags: Passes and tags aren’t needed when your car is transported, and you don’t want your alarm to be activated unnecessarily.
- Run down the gas tank: you only need to have a maximum of one-quarter tank of fuel in your car when it’s being transported.
Do I need any documents to ship my car quickly?
Transporting a car is a simple process. All you need to worry about is being available to release the vehicle on a pre-arranged pick-up date.
The carrier will need the keys to your car, and you must sign the Bill of Lading. This document acts as a receipt for your vehicle and an inspection report. When the carrier picks up your car, you will inspect it together and note any existing damage on the Bill of Lading. Check this is correct, sign it, and keep a copy.
If you can’t be present, it is possible to appoint a representative to act on your behalf. They do, however, have to be over 18 years of age.
If you’re ready to make the arrangements for your express auto shipping service, get the ball rolling straight away by using our instant online quote calculator. If you prefer to speak directly with our shipping advisors, call (864) 546-5038 or use our option.