What You Need to Know About Car Shipping From Maine to Florida
How Do Exotic Cars Get Transported?
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Are you the proud owner of a Maserati, Bugatti, Ferrari, Aston Martin, or Lamborghini? These are just a few examples of what most people consider to be exotic cars.
Typically, an exotic car is a sports car that’s low-slung, has two seats, a trunk that’s only big enough for your toothbrush, and ground clearance that will have you crawling over speed bumps. The fact of the matter is that “exotic” means a variety of things to different people. One of the most common features is that an exotic car has a sporty look and an engine that promises high performance.
Exotic cars aren’t really suited for long-distance drives, so what are your options if you need to get your Bugatti Veyron to your favorite paint shop on the East Coast? If you live close by you could drive, but if you live on the West Coast, for example, you’re much better off choosing to transport it with an auto transport company like SGT Auto Transport.
How do exotic cars get transported?
Exotic cars are a significant investment for owners. They tend to come with a very high price tag and require money, time, and effort to keep them in tip-top condition. When it comes to transporting them long distances, auto transport is by far the best option.
There are two different types of auto transport service: open car transport and enclosed auto transport.
Open car transport is a service that’s designed for standard vehicles. It’s a car shipping service that’s quick and easy to arrange, and very affordable. However, there is one downside that is particularly important for owners of very expensive cars. The level of protection is more than adequate for an average sedan, but if you’re the owner of an exotic vehicle, you’ll be looking for a service that offers more protection.
Enclosed auto transport has been designed specifically with the exotic car owner in mind. It’s a premium car transportation service that offers maximum protection for your precious vehicle.
Enclosed auto transport is known by several different names such as luxury, expensive, antique, classic, and exotic car shipping. Transporting your car using this type of service gives you complete peace of mind.
How much is exotic car transport?
There are a number of different factors that can affect the cost of exotic car transport. However, in general, you can expect to pay around 30% to 40% more than open car transport.
Let’s give you some examples of what it might cost to ship your exotic car:
Average price per mile
The average prices per mile in the table above are reflective of current market conditions as of January 2020. They are subject to change due to various factors:
- Distance: This is the primary factor that determines how much you have to pay to transport your luxury car. The longer the distance, the more it will cost, although the price per mile is lower.
- Condition of your exotic car: If your supercar can be driven into the enclosed trailer and unloaded without any special equipment, it will cost less. On the other hand, if your vehicle isn’t running, the carrier will need to use special equipment to load and unload it. This increases the cost of the service.
- Size and weight of your luxury car: The dimensions and weight of your vehicle also make a difference. For example, smaller custom cars cost less to ship than larger ones. If your car has been modified in any way it may also affect the price.
- How quickly you want your vehicle delivered: When it comes to shipping a car there are standard timeframes. You can get your vehicle delivered quicker, but it will cost more. In general, auto transport companies require 1-5 business days to pick up a car. It then takes 7-10 calendar days to ship it across the country. Express car shipping and guaranteed auto transport are options if you need your car transported quickly.
- Time of the year: There are high and low seasons in the car shipping industry. During the summer the demand for services is higher while the fall is generally considered a better time to ship your car. It might also be better to avoid holiday times such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the 4th of July.
- Weather: Certain weather conditions are not conducive to transporting cars over long distances. Snow, strong winds, hail, fog, tornados, and hurricanes all affect the time it takes to ship a car.
- Price of fuel: The cost of fuel is something that’s always changing. It goes up and it goes down. It can also vary from one area to another. The cost of fuel is one of the biggest variables in the auto transport industry and generally, any changes are passed on to the customer.
If you want to know exactly how much it will cost to transport your exotic car, contact us for a quote
How to transport your exotic car personally?
If you wanted to transport your car yourself, there are a few options:
Drive it yourself
Whether this is a viable option really depends on how far you want to transport your car. Driving long distances can be very expensive. Not only are there the fuel costs you’ve got to cover, but there are also the hidden costs of the extra wear and tear. Adding thousands of miles to the odometer also decreases the value of your car.
Let’s not forget the toll on your body as well. You’re putting extra strain on your body and it could take several days to recover from the journey.
Every mile you travel increases the risk of being involved in a road traffic accident. The risk gets bigger the longer the distance, particularly if you’re driving along unfamiliar roads, motorways, and highways.
Ship it by train
Yes, you can ship your exotic car by train, and it’s a relatively simple process that’s not too expensive.
However, there are some downsides. For example, your car will not be as protected as it would be if you used enclosed auto transport. Not all train stations offer such a service so you may have to travel a long way in order to get your car loaded onto a train. You’re also going to be limited to the route and time because trains run to fixed schedules.
Send it by air
Shipping by plane is one of the fastest options, particularly when you want to move your car long distances or overseas. However, the cost is very high, somewhere in the region of between $2,000 and $4,000, maybe even more.
This might be out of the price range of the standard car owner. However, if your car is collectible, antique, rare, or exotic, knowing your precious car will be delivered safely and quickly will be worth the cost.
Tow it yourself
If you have another vehicle, you could tow your exotic car using a trailer. However, this is really only a viable option for someone with the experience of towing a trailer. It’s something that can be very stressful and extremely dangerous, especially if it’s your previous Lamborghini or Ferrari on the trailer.
Is there a demand for exotic car transport?
As you can see from the options mentioned above, yes, there is a demand for exotic car transport. This is why it’s one of the auto transport services we offer here at SGT Auto Transport.
If you want to ship your exotic car across the country, our shipping advisors will happily answer any questions you have and let you know how much it will cost. You can speak with them directly using or calling (864) 546-5038.