Open vs. Enclosed: Which is the Best Way to Ship a Car to Another State?
How to Move Your Car to Another State
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
If you find yourself putting together a list for your out of state move, don’t forget to include a plan for how to get your car moved to another state. While the easiest way to move your car from one state to another is to just drive it there yourself, it can get a little complicated if you’re the one driving the moving truck or you’re got more than vehicle you need to take with you.
The good news is that there are various car relocation services available if you’re moving a car from one state to another. To help you figure out the best way to do it, we’ve put together this quick guide on the services available to help you.
Drive your car yourself
This is the solution most people consider first of all until they realize how complicated and expensive it might be. If the distance you need to move your car is a relatively short distance, there’s no reason why it can’t be worth considering.
However, if you’re working out how to move your car from one state to another and you need to travel more than a few hundred miles, there are other things you’ll need to bear in mind when making your decision.
If there’s only one driver, the trip will take much longer as several overnight stops have to be made along the way. This adds to the cost of moving a car to another state.
- You can turn the journey into a road trip if time isn’t an issue
- You’ll be able to stop on the way if you want to
- You’ll be able to soak up the best of America’s scenery
- Take time out to visit interesting attractions along the way
- Compared to the cost of hiring an auto transport company, you’ll end up playing a lot more because of the other costs you have to factor in
- All those extra miles and unnecessary wear and tear
- Driving long distances can be dangerous
- You might find driving for long periods very stressful and tiring
- How successful your journey is will depend on the weather and traffic conditions
- It could take a long time, especially if there’s only one driver
Hire a driver to drive it for you
This is another viable option and there are several different companies that offer this kind of service. Alternatively, you could employ someone directly, without using a third party.
- Personal service
- You might be able to tag along for the ride
- You’ll be able to transport extra luggage
- It’s a relatively fast service
- You can expect to pay more than hiring a cross country auto transport company
- Unnecessary wear and tear and extra miles of the odometer
- To find a reputable company or individual you can trust will take a lot of research
Ship your car by rail
This is not an option many people think about, but shipping a car by train is a simple process. It’s quite a cheap option, but you do have the problem of getting your car to the station in the first place and then picking it up at the end of the train journey. Unless you live locally to a train station, you may have to travel several miles.
- Costs less than most other options
- Trains are better for the environment as they have a low carbon footprint
- Most major routes are covered by rail services
- You’ll have the option of open or enclosed transport, depending on the value of your car
- It’s not a door to door service
- Delivering and picking up your car from the station adds to the cost
- Trains run to schedule so aren’t very flexible with regards route and time
- No personal items can be transported in your car
Use an auto transport management company
An auto transport management company takes the auto transport service to another level. Here at SGT Auto Transport, for example, we manage the entire shipping process from start to finish. We do everything for you from the moment you get in touch. You can rest assured that your vehicle is in the best of hands.
- The service is all inclusive
- All the arrangements are made for you
- The auto transport service is managed on your behalf
- The service is nationwide
- If you’re wondering how to move a car to another state, this is one of the easiest ways to do it
- The cost may be a little higher than some of your other options, but the peace of mind you get is priceless
Have a friend or family member drive it for you
You might know someone close who would be willing to drive your car to another state for you. It’s a very budget option and you know the person who’s driving the car, which has to be a good thing. You’ll also be able to pack extra luggage into the vehicle, and the driver might not mind if you tag along.
- One of the more affordable options
- You know and trust the driver
- You’ll be able to transport some of your personal belongings
- Additional insurance cover may be required for the driver
- Extra wear and tear is a cost you have to consider
- Are you certain of the driving skills of your friend or family member?
Get an instant quote for shipping your car to another state!
SGT Auto Transport is a nationwide auto transport management company with years of industry experience. We’ve been shipping cars from one state to another for several years. If you’re wondering how to move your car to another state, get in touch today.
Get the ball rolling straight away by using our instant online quote calculator. If you prefer to speak directly with our shipping advisors, please give us a call at (864) 546-5038 or use our option.